cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timmcfar
Community Member

Default Email Changes

Jump to solution

My account has recently been switched from student (with a umail.iu.edu email) to faculty (with a iu.edu) email and I need to change my default email such that notifications will be delivered to my outlook account (iu.edu) and not gmail. The KB page discussing how to change default emails is outdated or doesn't match the screen that I am seeing under Canvas settings. The KB says there should be an area which I can click a star to change the default but as the screen shot attached depicts, this doesn't exist.

195354_pastedImage_0.png

Thanks!

Tim

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@timmcfar ​, I just checked and the star icon is showing up fine for my account (and an Instructor that I masqueraded as). Have you tried switching to a different browser to see if the star shows up? My recommendation is to try that and if the star doesn't show up then my guess is that this has to do with some type of setting that your Institution is using/applying that prevents users from changing this information. In a case like this you would want to click the "Help" link (bottom left in Canvas) and "Report a Problem." Until you get this straightened out you can still go to Account --> Notifications and make sure you have everything set correctly for the new/updated email address.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@timmcfar ​, I just checked and the star icon is showing up fine for my account (and an Instructor that I masqueraded as). Have you tried switching to a different browser to see if the star shows up? My recommendation is to try that and if the star doesn't show up then my guess is that this has to do with some type of setting that your Institution is using/applying that prevents users from changing this information. In a case like this you would want to click the "Help" link (bottom left in Canvas) and "Report a Problem." Until you get this straightened out you can still go to Account --> Notifications and make sure you have everything set correctly for the new/updated email address.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

timmcfar
Community Member

Thanks for the reply! I attempted other browsers with the same result. You're probably correct in that our Institution has disabled this feature, I went ahead and contacted our university IT support.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Definitely sounds like the right thing to do in this case! Hope they can get this fixed for you in a timely manner!