cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvantyne
Community Member

Default sub-account settings on new courses

I have my account settings so that Teachers can create courses.  My account has several sub-accounts that are used. My question is: Where do I as the Admin specify which sub-account is used for a new teacher-created course?  Right now if a teacher wants to create a test course for some reason, all of those are assigned to a particular sub-account which I don't want the courses in.  If I have a sub-account called "Teacher Created Courses", how can I have that be the default sub-account for a course the teacher creates through the UI?

Thanks!

Michael

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mvantyne .  Good question.  I know that in our instance, any course that is created manually appears in a subaccount called "Manually-Created Courses" but we don't allow teachers to start a course as they mostly are created automatically by our student information system.  I am going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=b191c07f-8817-49b4-b02d-949ffad1593...‌ user group as well in hopes that someone will be able to provide insight.

Best wishes--

bneporadny
Navigator

Hi  @mvantyne ‌,

What we did are my institution is remove the teachers ability to create courses all together at the top level accounts. We then created a specific sub-account "Manually-Created Courses", added all the instructors to that #sub-account and gave them an account role that allowed them to create courses.  

We found by doing this it keeps our live productions sub-accounts clean and only containing courses that come from our SIS. 

Brian

mvantyne
Community Member

Thank you guys, that's really helpful.  I'll try this out, which will still let our teachers create sandbox courses but won't muddle the sub-accounts.

Cheers!

Michael

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mvantyne ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie