cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Deleting saved comments from rubrics

Jump to solution

As many of you know, Canvas has an option to save a rubric comment for later. I had an instructor ask about deleting those comments later. Here's the scenario she is particularly concerned about:

The department has a course that is taught my multiple instructors each semester. The lead instructor wants to use her course as the "master shell." However, she doesn't want her saved rubric comments transferring to each instructor.

Does anyone know how to delete saved rubric comments?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello sethgurell​ - Have you come up with a plausible solution yet?

I suppose it's too late for this but it might have been best to create that master course as its own shell, then create a duplicate/copy it for all instructors who will be teaching the course. This way, no grading would have occurred and therefore, no rubric comments would be passed on. Hopefully this, and/or Stefanie's suggestion will help someone else before they get to the situation you have described here.

At this point it might make sense for you to propose a Canvas Feature Ideas​ and see how this is affecting the rest of the Canvas Community.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

sethgurell​, this is a very interesting question! It hadn't occurred to me until now that there would need to be a way to delete the saved comments in shared rubrics--but of course, this makes perfect sense. I played around by creating a test assignment and a rubric that allowed free-form comments, saving some comments in the rubric via SpeedGrader, then exporting the assignment and its accompanying rubric to another course, editing the rubric to disable the "free-form" comments box, grading with the new rubric in the SpeedGrader, trying it again--and of course, trying to figure out how to "land" on one of the saved comments in the dropdown in order to delete it. So far, none of my testing has yielded any results; try as I might, I couldn't delete the existing saved comments.

So far, my only suggestion would be to export the master course content to a separate master, delete all the rubrics that use free-form comments, and recreate the rubrics there from scratch--but I will be the first to admit that this could be a very time-consuming solution.

Has anyone else had success with deleting saved rubric comments in a course copy?

Highlighted
Community Member

Hello sethgurell​ - Have you come up with a plausible solution yet?

I suppose it's too late for this but it might have been best to create that master course as its own shell, then create a duplicate/copy it for all instructors who will be teaching the course. This way, no grading would have occurred and therefore, no rubric comments would be passed on. Hopefully this, and/or Stefanie's suggestion will help someone else before they get to the situation you have described here.

At this point it might make sense for you to propose a Canvas Feature Ideas​ and see how this is affecting the rest of the Canvas Community.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Is there any solution to this issue?  I just had an instructor ask me a similar question so looking for a solution as well!  She writes: "I was a little over zealous at first and  saved some responses in the rubric that I would now like to delete. Can they be edited?"  Deactivated user is this not possible? Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hey Emily!

Unfortunately I do believe that it is still not possible to edit rubric comments :smileycry: I would suggest that you go vote up this feature idea and offer your comments and support. At this point it doesn't look like a lot of teachers are struggling with this (based on the lack of support) which surprises me a little - " style="line-height: 1.5;

Highlighted
Community Member

This seems like a "no-brainer" as far as feature needs. I'm having trouble just finding a place to "upvote" the idea, apparently the notion has been archived. I am working as a TA for a course, along with other TAs, and all of our comments are compiling in the "save comments" area of the rubric. However, as a very experienced TA for this course, some of the newer TAs have made comments which have errors, and we are collectively trying to amend their comments, and remove the useless and incorrect options that are beginning to clutter the list of available comments. This feature, which is a great time saver, is now becoming burdensome. If we can save these comments to a list, then we should have the option of removing unwanted comments from this list. Even for the very least of reasons. I made a comment, then using it again, found an eggregious typo. I'd like to correct it, add the correct comment to the list, and remove the one with the mistake. Please make this feature available!

Highlighted

ryhill@ucdavis.edu, the above-linked idea was archived due to its low vote total. This is the idea currently open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9029-edit-and-or-delete-rubric-comments 

Highlighted
Learner II

Has there been any more information regarding the editing or deleting of comments in rubrics?  With the switch to the new community, I do not know if we are still upvoting or if there is a place to vote for ideas.

Thanks - Crystal