cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Denied Access to Commons

When I try to log into Commons I receive a message that says, "Oops, your session has expired due to inactivity."  I clicked to refresh and log in but it gives me the same message.

25 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Delores, One of our users also reported this same error as well when they tried to access Commons. Has this been resolved for you yet? 

This particular user was trying to access this via a trust relationship, so I was wondering if that may have something to do with it. Is your account also connected via a trust relationship from another Canvas instance? Essentially, do you have an account in another instance of Canvas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, the issue has not been resolved. The directions I read said as a free

subscriber that one could still access Commons but not the full benefits.

Currently, my account still shows me as a free teacher user but it will not

allow access even when I try to refresh as it requests. Yesterday

afternoon I did read a post that I saw when I was attempting to do a google

search to resolve the issue myself. It said.....

"I'm sorry you're experiencing so much frustration. Each Institution that

pays for Canvas gets a CSM assigned to their Institution. This CSM

communicates with the Canvas Admins at the Institution about how things are

going and provides an extra layer of assistance and help. If you are the

Canvas Admin at your school then you should have someone that you've been

in communication with from Canvas, that person is probably your CSM. If you

aren't the Canvas Admin at your school then you'd need to contact your

admin about talking with your school's CSM and getting Commons."

I sent this message to my principal but have not heard back from her since

yesterday. However, she told me that her free account was letting her in.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:47 PM mvogt@cvc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Deloris, Yes, it should let you into commons even with a free account. We have all paid accounts so this seems to be an issue across both paid and free accounts. What I've been able to determine on our end is that the user token that automatically gets generated to provide the user access to Commons is not being stored. So they keep getting the "Authorize" button every time they try to access and it regenerates a new token, but then it never stores their token so they actually can access Commons. 

I'll work with our CSM to see if we can figure this out and I'll let you know what I find out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you so much.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:31 PM mvogt@cvc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I would appreciate assistance with this same issue. I have a free teacher account. I have accessed canvas in two different instances for graduate school in the past, but would be fine with having these old accounts erased, if that helps. I no longer need access to either one. I don't think I used the same email address that I am currently using for those old accounts, but I could be wrong. 

0 Kudos

Hi, rkonecki@nightingaleschool.org, that's a different issue, and we're happy to help. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16623-free-for-teacher-account-faq provides the instructions for contacting Canvas Support to request deletion of unwanted FFT courses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Stefanie, I don't think I was very clear, but I am getting the exact same error message as Deloris when I attempt to access Commons. I have tried several times over the last couple of weeks, with no success. The comments about having used Canvas through other schools was in reference to what Mike was saying about what could be causing the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

rkonecki@nightingaleschool.org‌, I was responding specifically to "but would be fine with having these old accounts erased, if that helps. I no longer need access to either one" in case you would like to have those accounts deleted to see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks, I can give it a try.

0 Kudos
Labels