cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Denied Access to Commons

When I try to log into Commons I receive a message that says, "Oops, your session has expired due to inactivity."  I clicked to refresh and log in but it gives me the same message.

25 Replies
Highlighted

I am having the same problem as the original poster, and I have tried all of the troubleshooting you have suggested. One thought I had after someone mentioned multiple accounts is that I had to create a "student" account to take the "Growing with Canvas" course that my administrator told us to take. I used the same e-mail to create the student account that I used to create my teacher account. Now, I am thinking this may be the issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

mhallock@bradfordareaschools.org 

Canvas has asked me to stop referring people to this post as there are a lot of different things going on and it has some bad information in it.

The latest recommendation from them was to make sure that you have created a course in Canvas FFT and are enrolled as a teacher in that course before you try to access Commons. If that doesn't work, I recommend that you create your own post rather than replying to this one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I will print off what you have written and provide you with all the

information I can. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I don't work for Instructure either and since Commons works for me (I only have a single account on a hosted Canvas installation), I may not be able to help much. My comments were general troubleshooting ones that someone would start with and eliminate things. Mike's post makes it seem like it's an issue that Instructure is aware of it but has no immediate plans to resolve. That doesn't mean that there isn't a work-around out there -- Becky gave one about creating a separate account and then linking them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I would love to try out CANVAS myself and with the rest of the department, but the inability for me to import this course which is way more that 500 MB is a problem and I will need to look at other alternatives.  The work arounds are way too time consuming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer II

I was having trouble logging into the Canvas Community through Safari (It wouldn't let me). So I switched to a "Chrome" based browser--Brave--and I was able to.  But in Chrome, I could then not access the Commons, I had to switch back to Safari for that. I am on a Canvas Free Account, so I did not try reaching out to support since it is not too bad to switch between browsers until the bugs are found. I hope switching browsers helps Smiley Happy 

For support for Free for Teachers account:

There is a statement in the Canvas Comparisons that was just updated earlier this month, that support is limited for Free For Teachers accounts It says:

As of July 2020, Canvas Support will only accept calls from Free-fo-Teacher users for deleting accounts, restoring deleted courses, resetting passwords, and making courses public.

I wish there was a paid tier for individual users as there is no option for some of us to move up the ranks to a paid account. Usually, it is not needed as the instructions here in the community are usually sufficient, but sometimes there are needs that take an administrator to help with but now it seems that option is on hold for now. 

I hope you are able to log in soon!

Best, 

Reid 

Labels