cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olena_bradford
Learner II

Designing drop-down boxes for sentence frames

Hi,

I'm an elementary teacher and working on designing Canvas courses for my students. The discussions are a big part of it. I need to post my objectives, the question, the directions for students, and also because I have many English Learners students I need to provide the  sets sentence frames to support my students. So, it's very long list of instructions. I wonder, If I would use "drop down" boxes to simply the view of my page.

But, I'm not an instructional designer and don't know how to write the code for a "drop down" box.

Would, you please, help me to write a code to create a  "drop down" box for:

Name of the button: Use these sentence frames to explain your thinking:

Options:

In my opinion, ......................... because......................

From my point of view, .......................  because ......................

In my understanding, ........................ because .............

One example from my life is .................

Name of the button: Use these sentence frames to communicate with others:  

Options:

I really like how you .............

I agree with you that ..................  because .........................

That reminds me of ...........

It sounds like you think that ..............

I was surprised that ........................

I disagree with you because ....................

Even though it seems valid that ................., I disagree ...............

That is a good point, but ................

Would you, please, explain to me ...................

Thank you!

3 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Olena -

I've done something with "multiple dropdowns" in a Canvas Quiz! This guide will walk you through that process: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12729-415243380 

What's neat is that you could likely use question banks and ungraded quizzes to provide your students with even more practice!

Thank you, Kristin,

I'm using quizzes with multiple dropdowns for the assessments.

My question is about how to create a "multiple dropdown" box on the Discussion page as a part of the instructions. I think, the way to do it is to design a HTML code for "multiple dropdown" box. But I don't know how to do it......

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @olena_bradford ...

I'm reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your reply to  @klundstrum  on July 7, 2019.  Have you been able to come up with any other solutions to work wih your discussion topics?  Are you still looking for some help from Community members?  If you could please come back to this topic to provide us with an update, that would be helpful.  Or, if you feel that one of the above responses above can be marked as "Correct", please feel free to do that as well.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Olena.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.