cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s_greathouse
Surveyor II

Differentiated Discussion in Modules

Ahoy all,

Again in need of help for what students see with discussions differentiated by section.

1) we do everything in modules and show a module progression at the bottom of each page.

2) we have to have 1 discussion per section by the way Canvas works to keep only people in their own sections interacting. So, for every discussion question, there are 2 (or more) forums to group the cohorts.

3) we have to put BOTH (or more) discussions in a module, (which makes it very cluttered and confusing), for it to come up in the progress.

What I can't test with a straight test student view: What happens with a student who has to progress through this module when they come across the discussion they haven't been assigned? Will they still see the screen as if it's the discussion or will the be told they don't have access?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
James
Navigator

@s_greathouse  

Will they still see the screen as if it's the discussion or will the be told they don't have access?

No.

Students only see the items they have access to in the modules when you have differentiated assignments (or mastery paths -- I think).

Here's what I see as a teacher:

351603_pastedImage_4.png

I've got a fake student account I use for testing. Discussion 2 was assigned to a section that student is not part of (in other words, it's not assigned to him). Here's what he sees -- he doesn't even know there is a Discussion 2.

351604_pastedImage_5.png

Thank you for being SO fast, James!!!

I appreciate that. 

I was able to do an "act as user" after creating a dummy module. What was also important was for us to be able to test the Module Progress feature that we can insert with cidilabs design tools. 

James, we were also able to confirm that this bar updates so as not to show the additional discussions, too.