cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Difficulties Uploading MP4 Videos

I have a teacher that has uploaded videos (.mp4) and it still says...

"Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit"

Anyone have experience with this?  She did say the videos were very old.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

31 Replies
Highlighted

rcarney@instructure.com​ has there been any movement on fixing this issue. I can tell academics etc to submit a ticket but in reality it is simply resulting in staff not uploading material.

thanks

Highlighted

Thank you for the follow-up question r.v.jones@bham.ac.uk​.  When I brought this to product about 2 weeks ago they had received very few tickets.  The tickets were all resolved by deleting the video and re-uploading it.  They need the support tickets in order to narrow down to an issue and build a solution.

Highlighted

Thanks rcarney@instructure.com​ I have again replied to the ticket and given them another example to work through.

Fingers crossed this might work

Highlighted
Community Member

I have experienced the same thing. I was able to convert the MP4 to a lower quality .flv file (using AVS video converter) and the video uploaded and played. It seems it was too large (over 30,000KB).

Highlighted
Community Member

I don't know if this will help anyone who has commented here, but I had the same problem with "Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit" when I tried to upload videos from the Photos application in Mac OSX. After trying a number of different things, it finally worked when I followed these steps:

1. Record video on iPad

2. Import video into Photos on the Mac.

3. Export video from Photos to Finder. Use 480p for size reduction.

4. In Finder, right click on video file.

5. Select Services > Encode Selected Video Files.

6. Choose settings "480p" and "Greater Compatibility" from dialog box.

7. Approve the encoding.

8. The resulting video uploaded successfully without receiving the dreaded "Media is currently being converted..." message.

Obviously, different folks are going to have different sources for vide, so steps 1 and 2 may not apply to them. And if you're on a Windows machine, you'll have to figure out if there are actions parallel to steps 3 through 8.

Best wishes to all!

Highlighted
Adventurer

Just an FYI, I have had this problem when simply recording media directly from the RCE, and one of my teachers has it when uploading any .mp4 files. I submitted a ticket late last week and was told that the issue is still being worked on by engineering. If you have a file that won't convert, the current process is to submit a ticket, and they will correct the problem for you until a permanent fix is in place.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks all for the helpful hints on this.  American Sign Language has dealt with this, and today, it was several students. We're submitting a ticket to help raise the urgency of this.  

Highlighted
Adventurer

Just wanted anyone who is interested to know that this issue has apparently been fixed by Canvas engineering; I received notification of this two days ago.

Highlighted

We had the problem again today. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Surveyor

We actually have this happen on a regular basis with students who are answering a video response question in a quiz (and sometimes that quiz is not graded for a weeks). We have to open tickets with support to have the video "re-processed" so the teacher can grade. The students are using the built-in multimedia tool which means they have nothing to upload or re-upload.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels