cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce-drummond
Community Member

Disable Canvas next/previous on single page

Jump to solution

How can the Next and Previous buttons be disabled for a single page? For example for a quiz question, the question must be answered before proceeding, or finish an interaction in order to open the next page.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awolfe
Learner II

Hello  @bruce-drummond ,

I don't think it's possible to force a student to answer a quiz question, but you can require that students complete certain criteria before advancing in a Module, which is how Canvas knows what to have the Previous/Next buttons go to. (You can't hide the buttons, but they will be unable to view the next page until the current one is completed.)

See How do I add requirements to a module? and look for the part about "Require Sequential Order."

I hope that's (at least partially) what you were looking for!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
awolfe
Learner II

Hello  @bruce-drummond ,

I don't think it's possible to force a student to answer a quiz question, but you can require that students complete certain criteria before advancing in a Module, which is how Canvas knows what to have the Previous/Next buttons go to. (You can't hide the buttons, but they will be unable to view the next page until the current one is completed.)

See How do I add requirements to a module? and look for the part about "Require Sequential Order."

I hope that's (at least partially) what you were looking for!

View solution in original post

Depending on Canvas requirements for module entry is crazy. We want to give students a break sometimes even if there is possibly content that they could complete. It is not healthy for the student (or for the lessons) for them to think they've started one assignment but instead be pulled automatically into as many as they can do without passing out. There should be a way to tag an assignment as a natural exit point from a process (if not for any other reason, but to give a break).

I know that Canvas is designed to be spartan and feature free, but I don't think it would be too much bloat to create a kind of "anchor page" that you could put somewhere that would indicate to the student that the current exercise was done (but they would be free to go back to the main Modules page to start a new exercise).

bruce-drummond
Community Member

Thanks!  I'll give that a try.