cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Disable Global Navigation menu during exams?

Jump to solution

A large majority of students take exams in our designated testing centers and will be using Canvas this coming semester to take their exams. We have this set up with our Testing Center with the IP addresses for the computers, but we have come to the realization that students still have access to the Inbox feature while taking an exam. This is alarming, because this would be a very easy way for students to share quiz or test answers. In addition, they can access their Files in the "Account" area. We use a lock-down browser for these exams (normally midterms and finals), so is there some customization available to disable the global navigation menu, or areas of that menu for specific IP addresses? If not, are there work arounds you propose to prevent file sharing and conversations when students are taking an exam or quiz?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi bham@fsu.edu

We are a Respondus school, and the Lockdown Browser only permits students to attempt the quiz, and restricts them from accessing any other Canvas area, including the global navigation menu. If Respondus is not behaving in this manner, I would contact your Respondus Rep.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there, bh16d_admin a belated Welcome to the Community. Thanks for taking the time out to ask this question! 

Not sure about an official answer, but have you taken a look at things like https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partners-platform/proctoru?sr=search&searchId=ac00...‌? Being able to have a live proctoring service? 

Highlighted

Hello Roxanne, 

Thank you for sharing the info about ProctorU. Unfortunately, we currently have a set up where we proctor roughly 200 students at a time. Any other solutions to this issue that are based around manipulating the Global Navigation? We currently use the Respondus Lock-down browser for the exams in our Testing Center. 

Highlighted

That's great to know, Bethany. Thanks for the info. I currently don't have ideas, however there are a TON of really great and quite smart tech savvy people in our Canvas Developers‌ space. Maybe someone has some custom code your admin can collaborate with to enable? I'm going to share this with that space and hopefully we can get more traction. 

You (if you're the admin) or your institution admin could also collaborate with your CSM and see if anyone else on the implementation team has any special code for situations like this. Hopefully we can get a good situation for you soon!

Highlighted

Thank you, Roxanne! We will definitely look into this! 

Highlighted

Hi bham@fsu.edu

We are a Respondus school, and the Lockdown Browser only permits students to attempt the quiz, and restricts them from accessing any other Canvas area, including the global navigation menu. If Respondus is not behaving in this manner, I would contact your Respondus Rep.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post