Disabling Threaded Response

Jump to solution
lsilverman1
Community Novice

In my first discussion post, I just wanted students to respond to the prompt (and see what their peers thought after posting an initial reply). I made sure to deselect "allow threaded replies", but students are able to reply to posts. Is there another setting I need to change?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @lsilverman1 ...

I think you are misunderstanding how discussion topics work and what the "threaded discussion" option means.  As far as I know, there is no way to limit students to a single response.  They always have the ability to reply to other students in the course...even if you didn't want them to.  You'd have to put that kind of direction into the instructions for the discussion prompt if you didn't want them to reply to others.  Regarding the "threaded discussions"...this does not prevent students from posting additional replies.  This is more of how the discussion topic is displayed in Canvas...where responses are indented one level deep.  When someone replies to another person in the topic, that reply is slightly indented from the one above it.  So, this makes it easier to follow the conversation instead of all replies being left-aligned to the page.  This page does a pretty good job of explaining what the difference between a "focused" and a "threaded" discussion is in Canvas: Focused vs Threaded Discussions: CANVAS-105-Discussions & Conferences.

I hope this helps, Leah.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes