cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfountain
Learner II

Disabling "Reset Course Content"

Jump to solution

Has anybody found a good way to disable the "Reset Course Content" feature for teachers?  We've been told by Canvas it's dangerous to have this enabled on "real" courses if it's used by mistake, but it does have value in sandbox courses.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator II

A good way to disable it is to educate faculty as to what it does. 

Completely disabling it thought the global custom CSS is something that's relatively easy to do. It uses the class reset_course_content_button and then you could set the display to none.

.reset_course_content_button { display: none; }

Selectively disabling it is much harder. This would require custom global JavaScript and a consistent way to tell whether something was a sandbox. If all sandboxes were all in the same subaccount or if they all had "sandbox" in the title or if the course code for the regular courses all matched a pattern, then it could be doable, although you may need to make an extra API call each time depending on the setup.

If you're worried about it (we were early on but it turned out not to be a big deal because of the first thing I mentioned), I would disable it and make faculty contact you to reset a sandbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
James
Navigator II

A good way to disable it is to educate faculty as to what it does. 

Completely disabling it thought the global custom CSS is something that's relatively easy to do. It uses the class reset_course_content_button and then you could set the display to none.

.reset_course_content_button { display: none; }

Selectively disabling it is much harder. This would require custom global JavaScript and a consistent way to tell whether something was a sandbox. If all sandboxes were all in the same subaccount or if they all had "sandbox" in the title or if the course code for the regular courses all matched a pattern, then it could be doable, although you may need to make an extra API call each time depending on the setup.

If you're worried about it (we were early on but it turned out not to be a big deal because of the first thing I mentioned), I would disable it and make faculty contact you to reset a sandbox.

View solution in original post