cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Discussion Board

Jump to solution

In Blackboard in the discussion board, I required the students to post their reply and respond to one other student before grading. Is there a way to do this in Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Tanya Crawford,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to set a double 'due by' constraint, so this is a bit of a work-around.

• Clearly spell out your instructions in the Discussion Assignment
    • Initial post/reply due by ex. June 20 by 11:59 pm
    • Response(s) to other students then due by ex. June 23 by 11:59 pm
  • Set your Discussion Assignment 'due date' to the later requirement - June 23 by 11:59 pm

This is how we have addressed this at our institution, but it relies upon students following your written instructions, without any technological controls or prompts, and a little extra work on your part.

After the Discussion closes, it is easy to group posts by user to verify posts and responses.

Less than perfect, but effectively working with what we have.

There are also these 'Options' under the Discussion Board 'edit';

Options

I hope you find this helpful, and hopefully others might chime in with other solutions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Tanya Crawford,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to set a double 'due by' constraint, so this is a bit of a work-around.

• Clearly spell out your instructions in the Discussion Assignment
    • Initial post/reply due by ex. June 20 by 11:59 pm
    • Response(s) to other students then due by ex. June 23 by 11:59 pm
  • Set your Discussion Assignment 'due date' to the later requirement - June 23 by 11:59 pm

This is how we have addressed this at our institution, but it relies upon students following your written instructions, without any technological controls or prompts, and a little extra work on your part.

After the Discussion closes, it is easy to group posts by user to verify posts and responses.

Less than perfect, but effectively working with what we have.

There are also these 'Options' under the Discussion Board 'edit';

Options

I hope you find this helpful, and hopefully others might chime in with other solutions.

View solution in original post

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels