cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prippin
Community Member

Discussion Notification on Dashboard

I have read messages where instructors are trying to get rid of the discusson notification on the dashboard.  My question is "How do I get the Discussion notifications to appear on the dashboard?"  

Every day I have to click on the discussion ICON to see if there are any postings.  I wish that it would show me on the dashboard for each class whether or not there is anything to read.  I have looked for the setting for that, but I have not been able to find out how to get that notification to appear.

Thanks.  Pam

7 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Pamela,

Look under Account > Notifications to set what kinds of events trigger notifications, and through what channels.  "Discussion" and "Discussion Post" are things that can trigger a notification.

However, the discussion notifications only work if you have subscribed to the discussion.  You do this by opening the discussion and clicking the "Subscribe" button in the lower right corner.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I also am having this issue of not seeing discussion notifications on the dashboard for all but one of my classes. For that one other class, the notification won't go away.

I have set notifications on for discussion and discussion posts and I am subscribed to all discussions.

Please help.

Thanks.

I was never able to figure this our.  I have also subscribed to all of my discussions, but it does not indicate on the home page of Canvas for any of my classes that there are discussions to read.  I am not really sure that this is really an option.  Good luck.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@prippin ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

@Robbie_Grant  - this still does not work for me; though it used to for couple of days when I first started using the discussion. What I had and would like to have again is: getting a notification only on the discussion board (solid red circle with a white number at the discussion-icon within the tile of a course in the dashboard)

settings->notification-> I could request email alerts; but that is not practical

discussion item itself: I have the "subscribe" selected (green with check mark): this does not do the trick.

I would like a notification in my Canvas shell showing that there is a message in the discussion.  I don't believe this option exists.  I don't need to have the "email" notification to tell me about discussions as those notifications always come long after I have already seeen them.  In fact, the daily email notifications, in my opinion, are really a waste of time.  I have given up on the messages (number of them) showing on the dashboard inside the course shell.

Sorry, Pamela - I should have addressed Robbie - My apologies