Discussion board posts & plagiarism

Jump to solution
rbzostek
Community Novice

Does anyone know if there is a way to check discussion board posts for plagiarism?

4 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rbzostek ‌...

This has been a popular request in the Community.  In fact, there is a current Feature Idea already posted that's now on Instructure's "Product Radar": https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4859-enable-turnitin-for-discussion-posts" modifiedtitle="true....  So, you may want to vote for that idea and/or post a comment to it to let Instructure know why it is important to you.

Also, you might want to check out a very recent blog post from  @dhulsey ‌ called Stopping Intra-Class Academic Dishonesty via Discussions.  He discussed some ways that you can set up your class discussions to try and prevent plagiarism even if Turnitin cannot yet be utilized.

Hope this helps, Rachel.

View solution in original post

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey, Rachel! In addition to the blog post  @Chris_Hofer ‌ directed you to, you can copy and paste the entire discussion board into a plagiarism checker. My school has Turnitin. Right before I grade posts, I ctrl A the whole page and paste into into Turnitin. If you have access to any kind of plagiarism checker, you should be able to do something similar.  I hope that helps!

Good question,  @lynn_greenough . I am not worried about the names being included. My institution specifies names as directory information, so there should not be a  FERPA concern, and, anyway, anyone outside of my institution would have to request to see the file from me. On a practical level, the names make it easy to tell who the culprit is if there is a case of plagiarism.  Smiley Happy 

AneeqGill
Community Member

I must say not all the plagiarism checkers are enough to catch the duplicate content in forums, blog comments, and discussion boards. I personally use Prepostseo because it detects plagiarism from many of the resources including discussion boards.