cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Discussions: Delay Commenting

Jump to solution

I would like to have two open/available dates: one for posting and one for comments. I don’t think Canvas has the capacity to do this currently (students create original post and then can’t reply to others until after the original post due date). We want all student original posts up and available before anyone can reply. 

Has as anyone else found a viable workaround to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

The closest you could get is to require students to post before seeing other replies (checkbox in the discussion settings) and to have a limited post date either in the assignment settings or manually closing replies on the discussion. It would be nice, though, to have one more level of control (disable commenting) on discussions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Navigator II

I've not found a good way to do that yet. The closest you could get is by disabling threaded replies, but even then, you cannot limit students to a single discussion post.

There is an idea open for voting that would allow for multiple due dates that might get you closer to what you're looking for. Throw an upvote on it.

I’ve seen that idea for due dates (which is great), but that doesn’t prevent students from commenting before everyone has finished posting. This instructor would like students to have all the posts available to read before choosing which couple to reply to. It’s a workaround to the restrictions on peer review options in assignments (no student choice, just instructor manual or automatic assigning), and that the whole class can’t see the feedback. 

Thanks for for the reply!

The closest you could get is to require students to post before seeing other replies (checkbox in the discussion settings) and to have a limited post date either in the assignment settings or manually closing replies on the discussion. It would be nice, though, to have one more level of control (disable commenting) on discussions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos