Highlighted
Surveyor

Discussions in Cross Listed Courses

I have a question about discussions in cross listed courses. When a student initiates a discussion Canvas displays the discussion only to members of that student's section. Is there a way to default new discussions so that all students across all cross listed sections see them?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

jeff.quinlan@rotman.utoronto.ca, the default is that students would be able to see each other’s discussion posts. I also just checked this guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13026-415257133 - and it looks like the only way to limit students to just seeing their own section would require that you had set up groups and set up the assignment as such. My question based on this, is are you sure they can’t see each other’s post?

Kona

Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks Kona! My experience is that student responses to an instructor's discussion topic are visible to all students, but discussions *initiated* by a student are not. Does that distinction make sense? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

jeff.quinlan@rotman.utoronto.ca, I think I understand what you are saying, but unless you are (1) using groups or (2) using post first, every student will be able to see what every other student posted to the discussion. If you are using post first, the students would still be able to see what ever other student posted, as soon as they made their first post. 

Does this help? Kona

Highlighted
Explorer III

Hello there, jeff.quinlan@rotman.utoronto.ca...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since kona@richland.edu‌' last response on February 26, 2019 @ 7:35 p.m.  Have you had an opportunity to review that feedback?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  If it did, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to her response.  However, if you are still looking for some feedback from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Jeff.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos