Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahimsel
Surveyor II

Display of Announcements on Home/Front Page Not Working

Jump to solution

front page‌ home pages recent announcements‌

Last semester, I set my Home/Front Page to have recent announcements displayed. I followed the instructions in the Canvas guide and it worked flawlessly (i.e., click Settings, scroll down to More Options, select "show recent announcements on Course home page.")

Now it's the summer term. I copied my Spring course in Canvas and started preparing for the class. I noticed the recent announcements were no longer shown, so I went into the settings and made sure I followed the Canvas guide instructions again (settings - more options - show recent announcements...). I double-checked that the appropriate Front Page was selected, and that I had selected that Front Page as the Home Page as well. It is still not working. 

Any ideas for what went wrong? I've attached a couple of screen shots to show the most relevant settings.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ahimsel ‌...

I was able to spend some time chatting with someone from the Canvas Help Desk as well as do some of my own testing.  In short, this appears to be a bug which will be escalated to Canvas engineers.  The technician and I were both able to replicate the issue that you are experiencing...where after a course import, the recent announcements are not appearing on your course "Home" page as intended (even though they showed in the same area of the previous course).  The technician's response was, "Bug indeed (to my knowledge). So I believe the best solution would be to delay the posting in order to 'set' a date for the announcements."  The case number to reference is 02126775.

Hope this helps, Amy!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ahimsel ‌...

I was able to spend some time chatting with someone from the Canvas Help Desk as well as do some of my own testing.  In short, this appears to be a bug which will be escalated to Canvas engineers.  The technician and I were both able to replicate the issue that you are experiencing...where after a course import, the recent announcements are not appearing on your course "Home" page as intended (even though they showed in the same area of the previous course).  The technician's response was, "Bug indeed (to my knowledge). So I believe the best solution would be to delay the posting in order to 'set' a date for the announcements."  The case number to reference is 02126775.

Hope this helps, Amy!

View solution in original post

@chofer ‌, does this occur only on a course copy? I ask because  I turned on announcements on the homepage for my summer courses. and it sees to work ok, but this is the first time I turned them on, so the setting was not copied from my previous course.

Hi Chris - Thanks for the feedback! I set the announcements to delay posting, and now I can see them on my home page. I'll make a note of the case number to follow up and see if the bug has been fixed. I appreciate your help!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ahimsel ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie