cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barbaracoen
Learner II

Do Announcements get sent to completed enrolments?

Jump to solution

I want to send an announcement to students that have started, but not completed, a course.  The course is coming to an end and I want to let them know. Ideally I don't want anyone who has already completed the course to have to view the announcement as it's not relevant to them.

Does anyone know if announcements are automatically sent to EVERY student enrolled in the course, or just active enrolments?

You might suggest doing this via quizzes - unfortunately the feature to message students that have not completed a quiz doesn't work when you have high volumes of students, so that's not an option I'm afraid.

Thanks
Barbara

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the helpful extra information! Sometimes people don't mean "active" as a Canvas term as much as their own personal term, so I wanted to make sure I understood how you were using it.

It is my understanding that students who are completed in the course will NOT get the announcement. We only complete students who were dropped from a course and I know they don't get announcements or notifications about the course once they've been marked as "complete."

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@barbaracoen , if the course is open (up and running - regardless of when it closes) and the students are enrolled in the course (not concluded or inactive or dropped) then they will get the notification about the announcement. I'm not sure what you mean by "active" enrollments - if the student is still listed in your course and still has access to it then they'll get the announcement.

Thanks Kona. Let me try this again ....

- we have 'active' enrolments, i.e., students that are still taking the course &

- we have 'completed' enrolments, i.e., students that were enrolled in the course but have since finished and their enrolment status has been set to 'completed'

I'm wondering if students that have an enrolment status of 'completed' still get announcements.

Thanks

Barbara

Thanks for the helpful extra information! Sometimes people don't mean "active" as a Canvas term as much as their own personal term, so I wanted to make sure I understood how you were using it.

It is my understanding that students who are completed in the course will NOT get the announcement. We only complete students who were dropped from a course and I know they don't get announcements or notifications about the course once they've been marked as "complete."

View solution in original post

Thanks a million. That was the answer I was hoping for Smiley Happy