cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Do Groups For the Assignment Change?

I created an assignment and assigned students table groups. When I grade the assignment later and the students have changed groups, does the assignment groups match the groups when the assignment was assigned or does it update to the current groups? In other words, do I need to create specific groups for every assignment or does the assignment remember the groups at the time of assigning the work?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi steven.turner@rentonschools.us Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Groups are a "People" feature, and once you create groups, you can use them over and over and over again! So for the next group assignment, you can simply pick your existing groups.

You can learn more about groups in the Groups Chapter of the Canvas Instructor Guide.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Dear Kelley,

Thanks for replying. However, my question is whether the assignment keeps the groups members at the time it was assigned or is whatever the groups currently are? For example, say Kevin is in team 1 for assignment 1. Then he changes to team 3 for assignment 2. When I grade assignment 1 is Kevin being graded with team 1 or team 2 if I'm grading after assignment 2 has been assigned? Also, does his grade change to that of team 2 for assignment 1 when he switches groups?

Community Coach
Community Coach

sturner@cuhsd.org,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while, so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

How we keep your questions flowing!

Robbie