cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Do I need a separate account with Big Blue Button to be able to use it within Canvas?

Jump to solution

Please forgive me if my question has an obvious answer, but I have looked at the resource documents and cannot figure out what is happening. I created a conference in a course, and when I am clicking the 'Start' button, a new tab opens that takes me to blindsidenetworks.com. When I go back to the original tab, it shows that the conference is 'In Progress'. I wonder if this is because I need to have an account with Big Blue Button? Could anyone please give any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

No, you do not need a separate account for Big Blue Button/Blindside Networks.  You will use your Canvas account.  "In Progress" just means that the meeting is currently running.  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.  It's opening that window because the platform is managed by a third company.  However, if you have technical issues, it's best to reach out to BBB directly as they will be more knowledgeable than Canvas Support will be.  (FYI There were many issues with conferences running over the past few months because more traffic was on the site than they had ever had before.  They just couldn't support all of that traffic at one time.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, sadaf.alam@qiihouston.org...

I'm going to tag ffdixon@blindsidenetworks.com‌ in my reply in hopes that he will be able to help answer your question.  Good luck to you!  Be well, stay safe.

Highlighted
Learner II

No, you do not need a separate account for Big Blue Button/Blindside Networks.  You will use your Canvas account.  "In Progress" just means that the meeting is currently running.  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.  It's opening that window because the platform is managed by a third company.  However, if you have technical issues, it's best to reach out to BBB directly as they will be more knowledgeable than Canvas Support will be.  (FYI There were many issues with conferences running over the past few months because more traffic was on the site than they had ever had before.  They just couldn't support all of that traffic at one time.)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for your help, Chris and Rebecca. It must have been a glitch, because today, it's working!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Sadaf,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton. While I work at Blindside Networks, the company that provides hosting for Canvas Conferences to Instructure, and can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can respond to your question.

It should always launch for you into a session.  Let us know if you encounter this issue again.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Labels