cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphy_1527
Learner II

Do students get notified if Syllabus is updated?

Jump to solution

We had to make a change to our syllabus so I made some edits in the Syllabus tab and hit "update syllabus" to change it. Do students get notified of changes made to the Syllabus tab?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @murphy_1527 !

I believe this is all contingent on the individual users notification preferences. In general, it looks like course changes aren't part of the activity stream, so changes don't automatically notify the user (see the Canvas notifications guide ). I believe they would get notified if the student chose to alter the "Course Content" notification setting to anything other than "Never" (see the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 guide for more info on that)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @murphy_1527 !

I believe this is all contingent on the individual users notification preferences. In general, it looks like course changes aren't part of the activity stream, so changes don't automatically notify the user (see the Canvas notifications guide ). I believe they would get notified if the student chose to alter the "Course Content" notification setting to anything other than "Never" (see the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10624-4212710344 guide for more info on that)

View solution in original post

swind
Explorer II

Hi  @murphy_1527 ‌ and Deactivated user‌,

I realize this thread is a few years old, but we recently had an instructor ask us the same question and needed a definitive answer.

I contacted Canvas Support and asked:

Can you please clarify which notification setting, if any, controls Syllabus changes?

This was their response:

We looked into this for you and the answer is no they will not receive a notification if the syllabus is updated.

In other words, it is not contingent on individual users' notification preferences. They will not get notified even if they change the Course Content notification setting.