cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Does a SIS import (PowerSchool) for try again on errors?

Jump to solution

Last year we had a few hundred students that did not get Canvas accounts generated from SIS imports.  Our previous Canvas admin was creating these manually. I have found the problem. The students needed email addresses entered into PowerTeacher Gradebook (PTG). Apparently there is difference between having an email address in PowerSchool (PS) and PTG, but I can't see under the hood in PS. Those students who were manually created will be blocked from syncing with the SIS. 

To fix this, I go in and modify their SIS ID, sign on, and email in Canvas.  Example student_1234, first name.lastname, first.last@school.com would be modified to be student_1234a, first name.lastname01, and first.last01@school.com

This will allow the SIS to create the real account for the student, but it happens at random.  On 9/5/2017 I had a massive error log where it tried to import data. I found that many of these were still the old manually created accounts, so I spent hours changing these to the temp info described above. Last night SIS import did not try again for any of that data.  Sometimes it tries again and fixes the issue, but I can't figure out when exactly it does this.  I changed many of those last night, but now they will not be able to log on today unless I change them back. How do I make the SIS try to create the users again?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor

Our SIS imports never restart.   We fix them in the source system and let the import catch it the next night.  If you fix it manually in Canvas, unless your import is set with the override flag, it will never update that data if it changes in the source system.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

james.sanzin@lbsdk12.com, did you ever get an answer to your question? If not, I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/sis/k12-sis?sr=search&searchId=6c59621e-6c61-4b02-...‌, https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/sis/k12-sis/powerschool?sr=search&searchId=6c59621...‌, and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12?sr=search&searchId=6c59621e-6c61-4b02-a3b4-8f93136c066e&s...‌ groups in the Community to see if they can help. You might also consider joining these groups so you have access to their resources and information. 

Highlighted

No I still have no answer.  I am altering accounts that did not get created properly. Sometimes it creates the proper  account at the next data push, but most of the time it is happening randomly weeks later or not at all. 

Surveyor

Our SIS imports never restart.   We fix them in the source system and let the import catch it the next night.  If you fix it manually in Canvas, unless your import is set with the override flag, it will never update that data if it changes in the source system.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

tross‌ We are fixing them in our SIS. I am changing the improperly created  accounts in Canvas to free up the user name and ID.  

Example:

If I had an account 

james.sanzin

staff_1994

james.sanzin@lbsdk12.com

Something was wrong in PowerSchool when it generated this or our previous Canvas admin created it manually. Our SIS, Powerschool, can not create a properly linked account because Canvas is blocked by its presence. So ...

I changed it to

james.sanzin01

staff_1994a

james.sanzin01@lbsdk12.com 

This will free the up the username etc.. so that the SIS can create a functionally synced account.  The problem being is that most of the time, it will not do  this at the first available nightly data sync.  Sometimes it fixes that night, sometimes it takes months. #powerschool #powerteacher gradebook #sis sync#sis: powerschool

Highlighted

Sounds like Powerschool is looking for a date change to generate the record.  The change you are making must not be generating the appropriate change record.  So some other change on the student's record generates the change date and the import generates the record.   They should be able to tell you what you could do to generate the record.  We use Powerschool's eSchool not the original Powerschool system.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there james.sanzin@lbsdk12.com...

It's been a few months since there has been any new activity in this thread, and so I thought that I would check in with you.  I'm not familiar with PowerSchool, but have you been able to get this issue resolved?  If so, and if there is a response above that has answered your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you're still working through this or have other questions, please post them below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since the end of September 2017.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below, however.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you, James!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels