cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpsimon
Lamplighter II

Does anyone find the process of inputting grades on Canvas to be extremely slow?

Jump to solution

I received the following email from a teacher:

"Last year when I would input grades into canvas, I was able to do it extremely quickly. I would click on a cell type the grade and move on.
This year, when I click on a cell it takes forever before i can input a grade. Once the cell is highlighted to input grades, it takes a long time after each toggle. This is making inputting grades almost unbearable. I tried it on multiple computers with multiple keyboards without success."
Anyone else noticing a difference in the speed this year?  This is the first I am hearing about this issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gunther
Surveyor

This sounds like a user problem and definitely not a worldwide Canvas problem. This user should close extra tabs in their browser, reset their browser, close every single open program, actually restart their computer completely, or use a different one entirely. Even though the user says they have used multiple computers, I assume the norm, which is that they are just switching between 2 computers they own, and not using a computer they have never used before. The user may have an extension installed (that installs automatically whenever they sign in to Google Chrome, for example) that is using a lot of CPU or disk resources, and is drastically slowing the input. Or, the user has a virus on both computers, which would also slow input.
There are many variables in play, but we know that the issue is not a Canvas-wide issue. We could assume it is not an institutional-wide issue, as you have not indicated that you have this problem, and you admit it is the first time you've heard of it. Therefore, it is most likely a user issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
gunther
Surveyor

This sounds like a user problem and definitely not a worldwide Canvas problem. This user should close extra tabs in their browser, reset their browser, close every single open program, actually restart their computer completely, or use a different one entirely. Even though the user says they have used multiple computers, I assume the norm, which is that they are just switching between 2 computers they own, and not using a computer they have never used before. The user may have an extension installed (that installs automatically whenever they sign in to Google Chrome, for example) that is using a lot of CPU or disk resources, and is drastically slowing the input. Or, the user has a virus on both computers, which would also slow input.
There are many variables in play, but we know that the issue is not a Canvas-wide issue. We could assume it is not an institutional-wide issue, as you have not indicated that you have this problem, and you admit it is the first time you've heard of it. Therefore, it is most likely a user issue.

View solution in original post

Thank you!  I agree with you too as this is the first time that I am hearing of such a problem.  I will forward your answer to the teacher.  Thanks again!

Also, the teacher said that the inputting of grades was slower with one class than with another.  Any thoughts as to why?