cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Does anyone have a great way of allowing students to grade themselves?

I am an art teacher tasked with using Canvas as my method to grade. I like using self-evaluation rubrics and since our district is trying to be as green as possible, I'm attempting to use Canvas to make this happen. But I'm finding it really limiting. Last year, I made rubrics (specific to each project within Canvas) and asked students to turn in their physical work to me and then use Canvas to create a text box. Inside that box they wrote 5 numbers which corresponded to the rubric evaluation. Two problems occurred-- The first--kids just didn't do it. The second--kids didn't bother to read the rubric and gave themselves full points in each category just to get it done.

I want a better solution. I'd love for students to be able to click on a box within the rubric like I do in speedgrader. Has anyone had better luck with something else?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

laurakgibbs‌ does a lot of self evaluations with quizzes in Canvas. I tagged her, so I am sure she will pop in soon to share how she does self evaluation, alison.winters@ngsd.k12.wi.us‌. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the ping, dhulsey@nmjc.edu‌! Re: self-grading, YES, alison.winters@ngsd.k12.wi.us, that is how ALL the grading happens in my classes; I don't use rubrics, but just checklists, the idea being that students get full credit for completed work (no partial credit), and then that simple checklist-for-completion is the basis for me to give them feedback on the work. I do no grading; instead, as they complete assignments, they "declare" the checklist, get points in the gradebook, and then the feedback from me is the guide for their focus as they move on. I teach writing classes, and so some students spend maybe just one week editing/revising, while others spend two weeks... it's all super-flexible.

I've written about how I use the Canvas quizzes and gradebook to do this here:

Points-Based Grading: Student Gradebook Declarations 

I've been grading (not grading) this way for 10 years, and I am a big believer in it, especially for classes with holistic, creative content where objective testing is not really relevant. For more about un-grading in general, I've collected lots of materials here:

Grading.MythFolklore.net

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello alison.winters@ngsd.k12.wi.us...

I wanted to check in with you because we haven't heard from you since you first posted this question on July 22nd and then received replies from both dhulsey@nmjc.edu‌ and laurakgibbs later that day‌.  Have you had a chance to review the reply from Laura on how she handles student self grading?  If so, did her response help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking assistance with your initial question?  If you feel that Laura's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you're still looking for some help or suggestions, please come back here to this thread to post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to your initial question.  I hope that's okay with you, Alison.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Highlighted
Community Member

Alison-

I wouldn't call it a "great" solution (still hoping Canvas will https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5123-create-a-student-accessible-rubric-for-self-assessments ) but what we are doing is providing a Google doc embedded in the assignment description, which students download as a PDF, mark up, and submit as an assignment. This requires a fairly high level of tech ability and software that lets you modify and save PDFs (all our computers have Acrobat Pro installed). 

Emily

Labels