cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer II

Does anyone know what happens if during a timed quiz the students wifi drops and reconnects after a few minutes?

Jump to solution

T   Today I was asked a weird hypothetical by one of my students: what if she is taking one of my online quizzes, and loses internet connectivity?  Does Canvas have any capacity to (a) verify that the connection was broken? And if so, can it be asked to pause a quiz from the disconnect time to a re engagement time? Has anyone figured out a way to deal with the inevitable student connectivity issues during a higher stakes test?

Tags (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor

As far as I know the timer keeps running but all their progress is saved. The best way to deal with a connectivity issue is for the student to ensure their quiz taking environment is as stable as possible. The quiz log (How do I view a quiz log for a student?​) should show if connection to the quiz was lost but there is no way to tell if this was just the student disconnecting or their connection failing to work.

View solution in original post

Community Member

Steve,

It has been our student's experience that the timer keeps running and they can go back into the exam as long as the timer is still running.  Note, we do not have our exams protected with an access code.

Also, if the timer is still running, you can extend the student's exam time to give him or her back the lost time. Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?

3 Replies
Surveyor

As far as I know the timer keeps running but all their progress is saved. The best way to deal with a connectivity issue is for the student to ensure their quiz taking environment is as stable as possible. The quiz log (How do I view a quiz log for a student?​) should show if connection to the quiz was lost but there is no way to tell if this was just the student disconnecting or their connection failing to work.

Adam, I am certain you are correct.

Community Member

Steve,

It has been our student's experience that the timer keeps running and they can go back into the exam as long as the timer is still running.  Note, we do not have our exams protected with an access code.

Also, if the timer is still running, you can extend the student's exam time to give him or her back the lost time. Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?