cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Download Question Banks into a Readable File Format

Jump to solution

I have an instructor that is wanting to download her question banks into a readable file format, perhaps a text or Word file, so she has a list of the questions she uses. Is there a way to do this? I have also informed her about bookmarking question banks, in case the reason behind this is to easily use the same questions across multiple courses.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jenniferbell@uttyler.edu‌ - Unfortunately, the direct answer is "no" on both counts so far as tools readily available within Canvas are concerned, but there are some solutions.

First of all, question banks themselves cannot be exported from Canvas directly, but stefaniesanders‌ posted a very thorough explanation and work-around of what one can do to get around this limitation here: Export individual question banks .

The next issue is putting the questions from a quiz into a readable file format.  The solution that many members of this community have used for this is a third party tool called Respondus.  You can download a trial version and see how it works.  (The cost is not that high for an individual user license, which I would heartily encourage you to purchase for future use.)  That said, not everything will transfer 100% correctly into Respondus.  We have had particular issues, for example, with questions that contain any images; you will likely wind up having to copy/paste them one-by-one into the Respondus output.  Otherwise, however, the most common question formats (M/C, T/F, etc.) transfer into the Respondus program just fine and can be saved as a Word document.

I hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jenniferbell@uttyler.edu‌ - Unfortunately, the direct answer is "no" on both counts so far as tools readily available within Canvas are concerned, but there are some solutions.

First of all, question banks themselves cannot be exported from Canvas directly, but stefaniesanders‌ posted a very thorough explanation and work-around of what one can do to get around this limitation here: Export individual question banks .

The next issue is putting the questions from a quiz into a readable file format.  The solution that many members of this community have used for this is a third party tool called Respondus.  You can download a trial version and see how it works.  (The cost is not that high for an individual user license, which I would heartily encourage you to purchase for future use.)  That said, not everything will transfer 100% correctly into Respondus.  We have had particular issues, for example, with questions that contain any images; you will likely wind up having to copy/paste them one-by-one into the Respondus output.  Otherwise, however, the most common question formats (M/C, T/F, etc.) transfer into the Respondus program just fine and can be saved as a Word document.

I hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jenniferbell@uttyler.edu, I second what kblack@dom.edu‌ said in regards to recommending Respondus. When I read your question that was my first thought and seemed to be the most straightforward.

Highlighted

Hey kblack@dom.edu, I have a follow up question that maybe you can help with! I've had no problems exporting the question banks via the method stefaniesanders‌ offered, but Respondus does not accept the file type. The quiz exports as a ZIP file with XML files inside, but even choosing the StudyMate class format (which lists both of these file types) does not work. I am also not given an option to choose an output file type when exporting quizzes.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Jennifer -

Sure, I'm happy to help--I hope!  First of all, I'll assume you're trying to export it to a Word document, since that's mostly what I have to do for our faculty.  (And what I have the most experience with.)  Here's what I have found works best:

-In Canvas, head to Settings in the specific course site and then Export, of course.  When you select that, be sure to specify Quiz from the ensuing dialog box.  You should then be prompted to select the quizzes to export.  DO NOT select all quizzes.  I have found that will not work.  Instead, select but ONE of the quizzes.  That will export as a ZIP file.

So, open Respondus and from the Open or Create area, click the Import Questions button. 

Next--and I think this is where your issue may be--select QTI from that first drop-down menu (NOT zip file or Studymate).  Next, when you click the BROWSE button to find it next to the Find File area, you will have to click the drop-down menu at the bottom of the "File to Import" dialog box and select ZIP.  The reason is (at least on Windows-based machines) that file type otherwise will default to IMS QTI.  And while that indeed is what you downloaded, Canvas exports these as ZIPs and not as XML or QTI files.  Because Canvas exports the QTI file as a ZIP file, you must be sure to select Zipped IMS QTI package.  Please see the screen capture below:

228928_finding the export.jpg

The next step is to click the PREVIEW button and you should then see some questions and the bottom of the screen!  Go back up in that dialog box to number 2 and give a name to your output file and click the Finish button.

Finally, click the Preview & Publish tab, click Print Options, and on the screen (see below) you can choose options whether to show the answer key, etc.

228941_preview and publish.jpg

I hope this helps, Jennifer!

Highlighted

Ah, I didn't have my personality set to the right choice to have the QTI option. This seems to be working exactly as you describe.
Thank you so much!!

Highlighted

Great!  Thanks for letting me know.  Happy to help!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks kblack@dom.edu‌ and kona@richland.edu‌! My institution does have Respondus, so that may be the best and easiest way for us to accomplish this request. 

Highlighted
Community Member

This is a serious limitation of Canvas. It seems within basic functionality for instructors to view the quizzes they write outside of Canvas without paying for another software license. Are there any free solutions?

Highlighted

I totally agree with this.  I think the lack of this ability makes the platform essentially useless.  I do not like having to invest the work into setting something up on a proprietary system (which already takes far longer than doing it on my own computer) and then not being able to get the work back to my computer.

Labels