cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Downloading vs. viewing assignment/quiz file submissions

Jump to solution

I am trying to figure out why sometimes when I click on an assignment submission, it automatically downloads itself to my computer and other times I see it on screen, perhaps in a different tab. Is there a place where I can adjust my settings? Does it have to do with how the assignment was created in the first place? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jen@kolodner.com

Please take a look at this guide How do I use Crocodoc in the SpeedGrader™?

It shares variables - such as compatible files and file size.

Let me know if it helps.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi jen@kolodner.com​ -

Do you see the same filetype behaving in different ways? (e.g. a *.docx sometimes previewing and sometimes downloading).

If so, do you see the same file displaying different behavior in different browser (Chrome v Firefox)?

If nothing else, this might help identify a pattern you can then tell your rep about.. 🙂

Highlighted
Surveyor

I also believe that this is dependent on your browser and on the file type. You might also check your settings to see if you can make the change. I know that on iOS devices things look differently, but on regular PC devices they open normally. I have found that PDF's typically open in windows and that Office Suite products download. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

If you save a file as word document it will save to your computer.  If you save a file as a .pdf, it will pop up and allow you to view it.  I apologize if this is not the answer to your question, but this is what came to mind when you said the file pops up on your computer.  This is not related to submissions, but again, this is what came to mind.

Where does it download to your computer, a file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have had the same issue.  I think it may depend on browser or how the file was uploaded.  I had this issue with videos and some opening in new windows, others not.  You can also check your settings. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jennifer,

I believe this is dependent on the type of file that was uploaded.  PDF files can be viewed through your browser, but word files have to be downloaded and opened through Microsoft word.

Highlighted

I am having the same issues. I tried using both firefox and chrome to view file saved as a PDF and others saved in Microsoft Word. When I clicked on the assignments, both of them automatically began to download before popping up. How would I be able to adjust my browser settings? Is there a browser that works better with Canvas? I was able to view both assignments (in student view) but not until they were downloaded.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Deactivated user​...

Here is a guide on Which browsers does Canvas support?​.  We've been telling our faculty that Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are better to use when navigating Canvas vs. Internet Explorer.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jen@kolodner.com,

Do you happen to be in the SpeedGrader when this is happening?

Robbie

Highlighted
Community Member

Yes, I am referring to being in the SpeedGrader and reviewing assignments. I'm trying to get a better sense of when submitted assignments will be downloadable only, viewable only onscreen, or potentially both. The answers I've received so far seem to indicate that it might depend on the type of file and how my specific computer is set to deal with that type of file, which makes sense to me. Unfortunately, we do not have a uniform audience of computer types, settings, etc. so it's hard for me to make sure that what I experience is what my end-users will experience.

0 Kudos