cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emilycraddock
Community Member

Draft and Final Due Dates

Jump to solution

Is there a way for a single assignment on Canvas to have a draft and final submission?  I know that students can submit twice, but can I set two separate due dates for the draft and final?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

I always recommend to people that they create separate assignments, one for each draft, and a last one for the final. This allows you to use the same rubric on each assignment and keep each submission separate with different due dates. You can make the draft assignments worth 0 points so they don't impact the final grade. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

emilycraddock​,

Currently this feature does not exist in Canvas.  I did find one similar to this for discussions " modifiedtitle="true" title="Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions​ and you may want to create a Feature Request at Share Ideas​.  You are correct that students can submit multiple times, but what you can do is set a due date for the first draft and then an until date for the final draft.  This won't let you give each submission a grade though.

Robbie

Thank you!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

emilycraddock, in addition to directing students to submit multiple times--and keeping in mind that you will be able to access their multiple submissions but students will only be able to see their most recent one--you could design a rubric that has separate rows for assessing the draft and the final. This would allow you to grade and regrade the assignment in SpeedGrader.

If I were creating this, I'd definitely adopt  @Robbie_Grant 's suggested approach, and would probably create two calendar events to correspond with the due dates for the draft and final. I'd also communicate a clear understanding to students that those who submit their final version between the due date and late date will have their final submissions marked "late" in their assignment submission views as well as your Gradebook, and would ask them to disregard the designation in this instance.

curryer
Community Member

We also suggest creating calendar events for students for the draft submission. This way, it shows up in the student's calendar as something to do, but isn't a separate submission. We also use that for discussion boards with two due dates, e.g. initial post due Wednesday (Calendar Event), responses due Sunday (DB due date).

Good idea! Thanks!

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

I always recommend to people that they create separate assignments, one for each draft, and a last one for the final. This allows you to use the same rubric on each assignment and keep each submission separate with different due dates. You can make the draft assignments worth 0 points so they don't impact the final grade. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

I think that will work well. Thanks!