cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heterochromatic
Surveyor

Drawing duplicate questions from banks

Hi there, I have read multiple posts and cannot find a clear answer. If I ask canvas to pull say, 5 questions from a bank of 10 questions for a new question group in a new quiz, how to I make sure that Canvas does NOT pull duplicate questions from the bank? This has happened, and not just to me. It seems like it should be a straightforward fix to program Canvas to pick 5 different Qs from a bank that has more than 5 Qs in it.   Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
langlangcat
Lamplighter

You need to divide your question banks into several smaller ones that none of the smaller question banks contains duplicates. Then pick the questions from these different questions banks.

If I am not mistaken, you are trying to draw questions from a major question bank that contains assessments from several chapters.If it is the case, divide your main question bank into chapters and create a group on each chapter, draw questions from there.

You can go even deeper to divide the questions into different types and make these different question banks.

All in all, if you want draw different questions without duplicates, your question bank cannot contain duplicates.

Heterochromatic
Surveyor

Thank you, BUT, my question banks do NOT contain duplicates. I have 100+ different question banks each with several unique questions in them. Overall, yes, 1000s of unique questions. When I draw, say, 5 questions from a specific bank that contains several (more than 5) unique (ie., NOT duplicated) questions, canvas will pull randomly from them when I make a new quiz question BUT SOMETIMES CANVAS PULLS THE SAME QUESTION FROM THE SAME BANK TWICE. So the student gets two identical questions.  Am I more clear now?

langlangcat
Lamplighter

Technically, it is impossible.

I would double check if the question bank contains duplicates, do a filter search if you spot any duplicates in the quiz linked to this question bank, I can be 99% sure it is due to the duplicates.

If not, check your question numbers and ID, make sure they are not identical.

Heterochromatic
Surveyor

OK. There are NO DUPLICATES in the bank. So technically, I guess, this IS possible. What is the "ID"?

Heterochromatic
Surveyor

Assuming this cannot be answered (I am not the only one who has asked this) the only work around I can find is to make MORE NUMEROUS banks and only draw one question (NEVER MORE THAN ONE) from each bank when making a group question in a new quiz. I just don't trust it. Tedious.

langlangcat
Lamplighter

Each question has a unique identification number, it is called by The XML when the QTI is deployed. that is the ID.

They can be 001, 002, 003 or more complicated strings. I don't know how you created the question banks, if imported from a publisher's cartridges, the possibilities of containing duplicates are very low.

If you generated these questions by compiling them from different sources or imported/reimported from old courses, esp, export and imported multiple times from many previous versions of a same courses, it may contain duplicated content.

Also check if you have duplicated groups in the quiz. and check if the quiz is a combination of individual questions and question groups.

Heterochromatic
Surveyor

The new quiz will typically be a combo of individual Q and question groups. For the groups I draw questions from my question banks. I have made all these questions myself; they are not imported from anywhere.  Seems to me that the unique ID number could be coincidentally duplicated, when the question is entirely different....I don't know. I think I just have to play safe, and just make millions of banks and only draw one question from each bank. What a pain. Thanks anyway.

Heterochromatic
Surveyor

That should have read: "Seems to me the unique ID COULDN'T be coincidentally duplicated..."

langlangcat
Lamplighter

If it is a combo, check if your individual Qs are also included in the main question bank, if it is the case, high chance you will see duplicates.