Highlighted
Community Member

Drop-Down embedded into Canvas Pages

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to embed a drop-down inside of a page to use for Q&A's in a lecture. I help teach an online course in Histology and we have converted all PDF lectures to pages in Canvas. The lectures are very interactive and contain GIFs as well as videos. I have tried a normal HTML select code and it does not work. Is there coding that Canvas will allow in its Pages to make this happen. I know there are drop-downs in quizzes so I know it should be possible.

Thank you,

Jason Geohring

Below is an example of what we currently use in a PDF lecture

92710_pastedImage_2.png

This is what our Canvas Page looks like now and where we want the drop-down.

92709_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey, Jason. One way to do this would be in a quiz. Since quizzes have the same RTE editor as pages do, you can use the quiz tool to create interactive lessons. Here is a tutorial: Designing Interactive Canvas Lessons - YouTube .

For more advanced interactive lessons, consider SoftChalk CLOUD , which is a paid option, but it integrates with Canvas well Via LTI.

A third option is Office Mix -- a free PowerPoint plugin from Microsoft for creating interactive lessons that can be used as SCORM lessons or with LTI.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Greetings Jason,

The <select> tag is not one of the allowed tags in Canvas. You can see the allowed tags on this page Rich Content Editor HTML Cheatsheet

I can't offer an alternative to a dropdown, but I have some sample code that will create some items that can be clicked and dragged into a different order. It will allow for an interactive way to arrange a sequence of events or for students to see if they can deduce the correct sequence of events. I'm having a hard time describing what this looks like but you can copy and paste the code below into a Canvas page to see what it does.

<h1>Put these events in order</h1>

<div class="enhanceable_content sortable" style="display: none;">

<div style="text-align: center; background-color: #ff6e77; color: #ffffff; width: 350px; height: 75px;">

<p style="padding: 20px;">The ring is cast into the fires of Mount Doom</p>

</div>

<div style="text-align: center; background-color: #ffb347; color: #ffffff; width: 350px; height: 75px;">

<p style="padding: 20px;">The Fellowship is formed</p>

</div>

<div style="text-align: center; background-color: #c3d85f; color: #ffffff; width: 350px; height: 75px;">

<p style="padding: 20px;">Saruman captures Gandalf</p></div></div>

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you Matthew for the alternative. Hopefully there will be a way in the future to have a drop down option or a way to ask a question and not reveal the answer without clicking.

Jason

Highlighted
Community Member

Hey, Jason. One way to do this would be in a quiz. Since quizzes have the same RTE editor as pages do, you can use the quiz tool to create interactive lessons. Here is a tutorial: Designing Interactive Canvas Lessons - YouTube .

For more advanced interactive lessons, consider SoftChalk CLOUD , which is a paid option, but it integrates with Canvas well Via LTI.

A third option is Office Mix -- a free PowerPoint plugin from Microsoft for creating interactive lessons that can be used as SCORM lessons or with LTI.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner II

Dallas:

The YouTube video is great! I've long recognized this capability in Quizzes, and actually promote to my faculty to play with this, but your video sums it up so well. Can I use your video for my faculty?

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Member

Absolutely, Kelley! Thanks for asking.