cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Drop quiz question points similar to assignment group dropping assignments

Jump to solution

Is there any way to drop points in a quiz similar to the way an assignment group can be set up to drop a certain number of scores?

I have a situation with an instructor who wants to give quizzes worth 10 points however, there are 12 questions. Each question is worth one point. He would like to be able to allow students to miss up to two questions but still get the 10 points (100%) for the quiz. If the student misses a third question, they get nine points, etc. The caveat to this is that if a student answers all 12 questions correctly, they still only get 10 points. The extra two points for the additional two questions are dropped. There is no extra credit.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ken,

I can't think of any way to do this automatically.  I think what I would do is to have the first 10 questions worth one point each and questions 11 and 12 be worth 0 points (if the numbers divided well I'd say make them all equal and worth something less than a point, but in this case it would be 0.83333333 and that isn't pretty).  Then after the quiz manually go through them in Speed Grader and use the Fudge Points box to add additional points as needed.  Yes, it's very manual, but I can't think of any other way to do it. 

Rick 

View solution in original post

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I didn't think about fudge points as I was only thinking automatic grading, which I figured there would be no way to do this (sounds like a feature request, huh?).

This would be a viable option for the professor this semester as thus far he only has three students enrolled in the course. Not sure what his students numbers will be in other semesters however.

Thanks!

6 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ken,

I can't think of any way to do this automatically.  I think what I would do is to have the first 10 questions worth one point each and questions 11 and 12 be worth 0 points (if the numbers divided well I'd say make them all equal and worth something less than a point, but in this case it would be 0.83333333 and that isn't pretty).  Then after the quiz manually go through them in Speed Grader and use the Fudge Points box to add additional points as needed.  Yes, it's very manual, but I can't think of any other way to do it. 

Rick 

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I didn't think about fudge points as I was only thinking automatic grading, which I figured there would be no way to do this (sounds like a feature request, huh?).

This would be a viable option for the professor this semester as thus far he only has three students enrolled in the course. Not sure what his students numbers will be in other semesters however.

Thanks!

I was also just running this through my brain with what you said about zero point questions and thought he might also be able to do all the questions as zero point then add a rubric that has number of questions answered correctly thus providing the point value he wants to enter into the grade book.

Got some playing to do.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, matthias.5@osu.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I ran across your question.  I'm happy to see that you and rmurchshafer@unomaha.edu have been working through your question.  There hasn't been any new activity in this topic since December 11, 2018.  Do you feel that this question has been resolved?  Are there any outstanding questions you have yet as it relates to your original question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to Rick's response or one of your own.  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because we've not had any new activity in this topic for about five months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Ken.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Chris, thanks for the nudge. Mark's answer will work for the time being. The last conversation I had with the instructor was that he would like to have the quizzes automatically grade and drop the extra 2 points if someone answered all questions correctly, then do the other math automatically depending on the number of questions they answered incorrect. Seeing that this is not able to be done (feature request...), we will have to go with the fudge points options for now. He anticipates the student population for this course to explode, thus having the quizzes auto grade would be the best option.

I have exactly this issue.  Giving an exam with 5 questions, need to answer 4, I drop the lowest grade.  It's been over a year on this thread so I'm hoping I will find something out.