cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barry
Community Member

Dropping low assignment score

I am trying to drop a low homework assignment in my gradebook. I have  a number of homework assignments. Each homework has a different point total, but for each students I want to drop the one where the student has the lowest percentage score, and then have the other homework assignments all have the same weight.

Example:
HW 1: max points = 100
HW 2: max points = 50
HW 3: max points = 100

If a student got 90/100 on HW1, 50/50 on HW2, and 60/100 on HW3, then I want to drop HW3 since it has the lowest percentage score, and have HW1 and HW2 both contributing the same amount to the student's final score (i.e., not have HW1 contribute twice as much even though its max points amount is twice HW2's).

I know I can put all of the homework scores into an assignment group, and then dropping the low score will drop the one that contributes the least to the student's score. But putting items in a group weights them based on max point total; how can I get the remaining assignments to be weighted all the same?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
James
Navigator

@barry , 

There is no provision within Canvas to automatically do what you are wanting to do. All score calculations within Canvas are point based. How much those count towards the final grade may be weighted if you are using assignment groups with weights, but that is done at the assignment group level, not at the assignment level. Within each assignment group, weighting is done based on points.

Currently, the only way to do what you're asking is if you make every assignment worth the same number of points. 

Personally, I feel that telling a student that a 50 point assignment counts the same as a 100 point assignment, but it's only 50 points is confusing to the students. Or that if you have a small assignment worth 5 points it might end up counting the same as a major project that was worth 100 points. If you want them to count equal amounts, then you should make them worth equal amounts. If you want them to be different, then you should stick to that.

However, I recognize that some people wish to weight assignments within assignment groups. There are enough people who feel that way that there is even a feature request that has risen to the level of being on product radar to accomplish just that: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7130-assignment-weighting-in-assignment-groups 

You may want to pop over to that thread, lend your support, and supply your use case if it's not already covered. Threads like that also tend to gather work-arounds from people while they wait on Canvas to do something. Some involving computing a single score for the entire assignment group and then including that as a grade in the gradebook and then counting the original grades worth 0%. Rather than repeating all of those suggestions here and missing something, I'll just let you read them in the other thread.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@barry ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I was told what I wanted to do was not possible in Canvas. I had to develop

a circuitous workaround that involved some non-Canvas grade processing.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 2:13 PM Robbie Grant Admin <instructure@jiveon.com>