Highlighted
Community Member

EDU Login?

Jump to solution

Hi

I've been a teacher since 1989 with various Universities, Institutes and Colleges.

My current canvas login is linked to the University I presently work at.

I have however given notice as I'm moving overseas and am in a transition period to what I envisage will be another job in another University, Institute or College. However, as my current University will close my email account I expect I will also lose access to my canvas account at a time where I really need it as evidence of the number of courses I have developed and delivered utilising canvas as the LMS.

Heck, I might even end up inspiring more users if they are not yet using canvas.

Is there some way I could use my personal email as my login until I get a new EDU account or some other way of keeping it open for me?

Please help?

Dr Kelvin Baker 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Its ok thanks, changed default email Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello kelvin.baker@unimelb.edu.au Thank You for posting your question.  Here are some initial thoughts I have for you:

• Have you spoken with your current school's local Canvas administrator(s) to see if they might be able to accommodate your needs?  Since the vast majority of Canvas Community members wouldn't have access to your school's Canvas account or your courses, it might be best to speak with someone at your school about your account.
  • If the new school you are moving to also has Canvas, their way of logging in would, more than likely, be different than what you are used to at your current school.  You wouldn't be logging in to the same Canvas environment (though you might have a lot of the same features...they are two separate environments).
  • Canvas does allow you to export courses so that you can import into another course shell ... even in another Canvas environment. See  How do I export a Canvas course? and How do I import a Canvas course export package?.  And while I certainly understand the want/need to show evidence of courses you've developed and delivered...many times the school owns the curriculum and not the individual.  So, this is something you might want to also inquire about at your current school.

I hope these bullet points will be of some help to get you started, Kelvin.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have two canvas accounts:

One directly linked to the Uni

and

another I started through the University email that is my personal development account I created before the official University account.

So it's the need for access to that account which might not work later?

Kel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Its the Free for Teachers account I'm concerned about loosing

The official uni account I don't need access to.

But both are registered under this same email.

?

K

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

kelvin.baker@unimelb.edu.au,

Are you using Canvas Free for Teachers (FFT) at canvas.instructure.com or your institution's Canvas instance?

If you're using your institution's instance of Canvas, then there is not much that you if / when your old institution shuts off your access. You won't be able to login anymore and at that point, it will be too late to make any backups.

As chofer@morainepark.edu wrote, if the course content is yours, then you can export the courses to files. If you're not using Canvas Free for Teachers, you might be able to create an account there and import your content. No user content goes with that, and you can show other people what you've done. Note that there are some limitations to FFT when compared to an institutional Canvas: Here's the Canvas Account Comparisons document.

If you are using FFT with your school's email address, I don't know how hard it will be to change a login. I've seen people having trouble changing email for their students, but I don't use FFT myself and I cannot check. You may be able to contact Canvas support.

Highlighted
Community Member

Its ok thanks, changed default email Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Labels