cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

EMERGENCY HELP! 1.5hr intro Canvas training programme needed!

Aargh, help me!

Unexpectedly running INSET (teacher pre-sessional) training on Friday morning UK time on Canvas for about 24 colleagues from senior school (ages 13-18). They will be BYOD, probably mobile telephones but maybe laptops or tablets.

What shall I do to maximise their time?

I want them to leave having seen the best that Canvas offers from the FFT account possibilities (and maybe stimulate interest in buying institutional licence...). They also need to have created a resource they can use in their classrooms the next week.

Does anyone have a ready made Canvas intro course I can get from the Commons that is 90mins approx.?

Is there anything I can do tonight to get tomorrow started more quickly...sign them up to the Canvas intro course as students...ask them to download the app, etc.?

Any and all help gratefully received...

25 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Check out mine - Canvas Instructor Training and Student Orientation​ - it's longer tba. 90 minutes, but you could download it and take out the stuff you didn't want to use.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Also try one called Kung Fu Canvas​ - I haven't personally used this, but others seem to really like it.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Check these out:

And I think a search for keywords "Canvas Training" or "Canvas Instructor Training" will yield solid results in Commons. 

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk​, good luck! I found the conversation here helpful, although you'll definitely have to do some distillation to fit the content into 1.5 hours: Canvas Training- 3 Levels

And one word of caution: In our training sessions, we specifically advise teachers not to attempt to create resources in Canvas using mobile devices, and especially not on mobile phones. The device and system requirements we set forth in our training sessions are "Laptop/desktop with updated internet browser (Chrome or Firefox preferably)." Your teachers and prospective Canvas users are not likely to have the best experience trying to build courses on their phones. You might want to search for a ready-made course in which you enroll all of the teachers as students, something they can view on their phones through the mobile app, to get an idea of the student experience.

Highlighted

YES! This^

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello Dr Rimmer,

I don't know if I'm too late to give you any useful advice.  You have received links to some wonderful resources.  More in general I would advise keeping your presentation and goals simple.  With audiences of teachers totally new to Canvas and maybe even to the concept of an LMS I used to start with a "5 things" slide deck that started with the five main benefits to teachers and students (automatically graded quizzes, they can check grades, etc).  This took about five minutes.  Then I would take them through several similar 'day in the life of' scenarios where they could see how it actually worked (teacher posts announcement and assignment, student logs in, gets assignment requirements, comes to class, goes back online and turns in work, teacher grades).  THEN we would get everybody logged in.  Even with accounts and courses created ahead of time getting logged in always took way longer than we planned for (double your estimate).    Once you get them logged in, have them do simple, achievable things like setting up a Front page or syllabus description or one module.  As they achieve these tasks always have one more for them to move on to.

Anyway, good luck.  I'm confident that you'll have a great training.  Wish I could be a fly on the wall....

Highlighted

One other thing I thought to add.  I recently saw where clong@hbuhsd.edu​ used a technique that I'd love to try.  While doing a f2f training he had a series of slides with animated GIFs playing behind him.  The animations showed the point and click steps to do a thing (set a setting for example) while he talked about the why, best practices, potential pitfalls, etc.  I don't know if Chris invented this or saw it somewhere but I'd love to try that technique.

That's a great idea.  I'm finding that gifs are becoming increasingly easy to create (snagit is pretty simple) and fairly effective.  The key is that they have to be very relevant to what you are discussing in a F2F or else they can be visually distracting. 

Highlighted

Thanks for the shout out scottd@instructure.com​. I had not seen this done before and thought I'd give it a try. I think it turned out pretty well because if they were videos, I'd have to hit play and if I broke away from my slide deck, I'd have to take my attention off the audience. So for a fast paced session this was a great fit.

Here's the Google Slide Deck I Created for this... bit.ly/canvassecrets ... Shh don't tell anyone :smileymischief:

Labels