cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

EMERGENCY HELP! 1.5hr intro Canvas training programme needed!

Aargh, help me!

Unexpectedly running INSET (teacher pre-sessional) training on Friday morning UK time on Canvas for about 24 colleagues from senior school (ages 13-18). They will be BYOD, probably mobile telephones but maybe laptops or tablets.

What shall I do to maximise their time?

I want them to leave having seen the best that Canvas offers from the FFT account possibilities (and maybe stimulate interest in buying institutional licence...). They also need to have created a resource they can use in their classrooms the next week.

Does anyone have a ready made Canvas intro course I can get from the Commons that is 90mins approx.?

Is there anything I can do tonight to get tomorrow started more quickly...sign them up to the Canvas intro course as students...ask them to download the app, etc.?

Any and all help gratefully received...

25 Replies
Highlighted

Your secret is safe with me, clong@hbuhsd.edu​...

Yesterday, the illustrious Deactivated user​ shared his knowledge about animated GIF making applications that he likes.  I haven't had a chance to try them myself yet but here is the info from Jordan:

This is the tool I recently started using for making Screencast GIF’s. It’s brilliant, and creates super high quality, yet small GIF’s -

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

There’s some other GIF maker tools that you may want to try, mentioned here: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/07/08/creating-animated-gifs-from-short-v...

Highlighted

My go to Screencast Tool is ScreenFlow​ always my top recommendation for Mac Users. They recently added the animated GIF export option to it and that's what gave me the idea to try it out for my socalcanvas​ session.

Highlighted
Community Member

drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk​,

It looks like you received some great feedback here! Bravo to kona@richland.edu​ and biray@instructure.com​ for noticing this last night and hopping right in to help! I hope you will come back in and share what you ended up doing, and how things worked out!

I just wanted to throw out another suggestion that might be helpful in dire moments like this! Have you had a chance to check out the new CanvasLIVE​ space? We just launched a CanvasLIVE 24/7 chatroom that allows Canvas users to connect and engage with others, at any time of the day, and get real-time feedback and advice! Any time you want to "talk Canvas" you are welcome to strike up a conversation in that LIVE arena!

You can join the chat by going here: CanvasLIVE Chatrooms and requesting access. You'll also be able to download the Ryver (chat tool) apps to use on the go! (Here's a short URL you can share with others: http://j.mp/canvaslivechat)

Right now we have over 100 folks registered in the chatrooms and the numbers are growing daily. I hope to see you there!

Highlighted
Community Member

You are all truly magnificent people...I thank you most sincerely for all your advice.

The Headmaster said he was so interested that he might pop by!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Good luck!  :smileygrin:

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk​, we are all sitting here on tenterhooks! How did it go? Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

No doubt she nailed it and they're working out the paperwork as we speak to issue her a raise and an engraved trophy. 

Highlighted

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

TGIF (and a long weekend!)

Highlighted
Community Member

Well, at nearly 1am Saturday (my time) I'm ready to tell you that it went okay!

Lessons learned by me:

1. Do not assume that when line manager says laptops have been organised for delivery to your classroom, that this means IT have received the request, plan to act on it, or are immediately responsive when you panic-call them 10mins after start.

2. Do not assume that, when you (luckily) find a classroom with PCs, they all work or log-on within the 90min session. Sometimes a blue frozen welcome screen is all you're gonna get!

3. Kung Fu Canvas and Make-your-own-adventure look ace, but are too big for FFT account.

4. Teachers at my school are mostly enticed by promises of auto-marked tests (quizzes) and the ease of setting meaningful, scaffolded cover work for planned absences.

I am going to call today a success.

Labels