cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Edit Annotations in Canvas Conferences (Big Blue Button)

Jump to solution

Other than the Undo feature in Big Blue Button conferencing, is there an option for editing annotations? I'm working on getting our Writing Center to put Canvas to use for their appointments. The Conference feature will be a large part of that. I can foresee the Writing Center staff asking if there is a way to move/edit annotations. 

I've searched the Big Blue Button tutorials high and low and have not found anything.

This is my last stop to try to find an option. If not, it is what it is!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, we don't have a way of editing annotation right now.  We do have on our road map adding the ability to edit whiteboard annotations (such as text or resizing shapes).

However, we just released an update to BigBlueButton that might help you engage students more along improving writing skills.

> I'm working on getting our Writing Center to put Canvas to use for their appointments.

You should definitely check out the multi-user whiteboard and shared notes feature for one-on-one coaching.

With multi-user whiteboard, a tutor could upload upload a document that has some text that could be improved, then turn on multi-user whiteboard, and invite the student "Ok, underline the parts of this document that you think could be improved".

With shared notes, the tutor could paste some text to the shared notes and invite students to edit it to improve it.  For an overview of these features, see

Overview of BigBlueButton 2.0 - YouTube 

See also

How do I create shared notes in a conference as a presenter? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12377-4152790818 

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu...

I'm not sure of an answer for you, but I am going to bring ffdixon@blindsidenetworks.com‌ into this conversation as he may have some insights for you.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, we don't have a way of editing annotation right now.  We do have on our road map adding the ability to edit whiteboard annotations (such as text or resizing shapes).

However, we just released an update to BigBlueButton that might help you engage students more along improving writing skills.

> I'm working on getting our Writing Center to put Canvas to use for their appointments.

You should definitely check out the multi-user whiteboard and shared notes feature for one-on-one coaching.

With multi-user whiteboard, a tutor could upload upload a document that has some text that could be improved, then turn on multi-user whiteboard, and invite the student "Ok, underline the parts of this document that you think could be improved".

With shared notes, the tutor could paste some text to the shared notes and invite students to edit it to improve it.  For an overview of these features, see

Overview of BigBlueButton 2.0 - YouTube 

See also

How do I create shared notes in a conference as a presenter? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12377-4152790818 

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner II

Is there an update to this?  We'd like to be able to select/move annotations using Conferences in Canvas with BBB.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Julie,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton (Canvas Conferences).  While I work at Blindside Networks (the company providing hosting for BigBlueButton), and can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your question.

> Is there an update to this? We'd like to be able to select/move annotations using Conferences in Canvas with BBB.

We don't have this feature yet, but it's on our road map. 

We recently switched away from Flash to a pure HTML5 client for Canvas Conferences -- this will enable us to add features more quickly, especially to the whiteboard.

I would like to see this feature as well.  We don't have plans to do it this summer, but I'll give you an update later this summer to let you know if it's something we can have in the fall.

Regards,... Fred

-- 

BigBlueButton Developer

(I also moonlight as the CEO for Blindside Networks)

Highlighted

Three years and counting.  Does anybody ever look at this magical to-do list you guys keep referring to?  Or is this your way of trying to say you have provided a solution to the problem without actually working?