cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifer_caliga
Community Member

Edit a PDF?

Jump to solution

We have mastered how to edit an uploaded doc from word or google docs.  Is there any way to upload a pdf as a file and have the kids edit it?  We have tried DOC HUB but it wasn't very friendly with Canvas...any one out there have ay suggestions?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
clong
Learner II

Hi Jennifer,

PDFs are really not the best file type to use if you need to be able to edit it just like a Word Doc or Google Doc. However, many times teachers would like their students to mark-up, annotate and/or write on top of a PDF rather than actually editing the text or formatting on the PDF. If this is what you are looking to do then let me introduce you to one of my favorite tools, Kami.

Seeing is believing, and this is something I've seen a lot of community members ask about so I made a video demo of how Canvas + PDF + Kami = Awesome​. Hopefully this gives you some good ideas. If you have any questions about using this or setting it up, I'd be happy to help.

View solution in original post

Nice,  @clong ! And an "always free" version, too! Smiley Happy

6 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi @Jennifer_Caligan - If you Google "PDF Converter" you will find several available (some on rather suspicious sites), but the best way to do that now is in Word.  Starting in Word 2013 (I think...) if you open a PDF document in Word, it will offer to convert it for you to Word format.  So, download/save the PDF first, and then try opening in Word.  Results will vary greatly depending on how heavily formatted the PDF is.  If there are lots of illustrations, multiple columns, etc., it will look like a mess.  On the other hand, a straightforward document should convert quite nicely.  (The former librarian in me also has to say that you should be careful you are not trying to edit material that is otherwise protected by copyright.)  But give Word a try.

clong
Learner II

Hi Jennifer,

PDFs are really not the best file type to use if you need to be able to edit it just like a Word Doc or Google Doc. However, many times teachers would like their students to mark-up, annotate and/or write on top of a PDF rather than actually editing the text or formatting on the PDF. If this is what you are looking to do then let me introduce you to one of my favorite tools, Kami.

Seeing is believing, and this is something I've seen a lot of community members ask about so I made a video demo of how Canvas + PDF + Kami = Awesome​. Hopefully this gives you some good ideas. If you have any questions about using this or setting it up, I'd be happy to help.

Nice,  @clong ! And an "always free" version, too! Smiley Happy

It will not let me watch the video- it says it is private- suggestions?

Jennifer Caligan

5th Grade Science

Patriots STEM Elementary

jennifer.caligan@cabarrus.k12.nc.us

Opps, sorry I forgot to hit the publish button. You should be able to see it now.

sheldonj1
Community Member

Hi

I chose this thread from the top of a group because of a message to the effect of "pdfs are editable in Canvas".

I provide crossword puzzles in .pdf so the terminology "editiable" would mean that i can  somehow "type in" or "apply" a letter to a "letter box" in a .pdf of a crossword puzzle.

To put that in the parlance of the latest tweenies or whoever, "that ain't happenin' " .

I, using an Ubuntu computer can do what I can do elsewhere than Canvas, when I click "a place" like a crossword "box" it interacts with a "frame" in the .pdf and in the case of a crossword puzzle it will highlight the FIRST word on the top left of something like a "title".

The reason for that is because, as I understand it, the "puzzle boxes" are kind of like "an image" that is held within a "frame" on the .pdf and so when I click "a box" the system interprets that "click" as a click on the first HIGHLIGHTABLE portion of the .pdf starting top left and working down bottom right....it is a coding thing .lol.

I can, as with other apps, copy the highlighted text and copy it to something like a wordprocessor and paste it as "a word" such as i can highlight "biology" and copy and paste the word "biology" into a word document.

This is not anything new.

I cannot paste the word back into the .pdf and I cannot apply a letter to a puzzle box.

Yes, a .pdf' is "editable" in Canvas but only in the normal manner using something like an Ubuntu system, which, btw, is very robust in it's handling of .pdf as opposed to a Windows(tm) system.

I CANNOT do anything using an Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S5 which has what one would find in a "normal phone" such as what a student would have.

I can open the puzzle and I can edit the title of the puzzle, since I am an administrator in the class but I cannot edit the puzzle itself.

james

just sayin'

sheldon