cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Edit a rubric

How do I edit a rubric attached to an assignment? Recently I edited a rubric and I lost the rubric 

link to the assignment.

Steve Goforth, Thomas More University

8 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

I think the easiest way is to go to the assignment that has the rubric you wish to edit and make changes there. In the upper right of the rubric is a pencil icon that, when clicked, will allow you to edit the rubric.

A stumbling block I encounter with instructors is that they sometimes see a pop up warning that starts with "You can't make changes to this rubric." They get worried something will break and don't read the rest of the warning that says "You can't make changes to this rubric. Making changes will make a copy of this rubric." If that message comes up, click "okay" and make your changes regardless.

If I misunderstood the question, could you post a screenshot to clarify the issue?

Highlighted

Hi,

The rubric I want to edit is linked to an assignment. I recently edited a linked rubric and the rubric became unlinked to 6 weeks of assignments.

Editing rubrics has created more issues.

Steve Goforth

Instructor

Music Department

Thomas More College

333 Thomas More Parkway | Crestview Hills, KY 41017

<http://www.thomasmore.edu/>

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Clarification:

I have the same rubric attached to discussion topics for weeks 1 - 6. I edited the rubric for week one but the edited rubric didn't update to all 6 weeks. I have 2 discussion topics per week so does this mean I need to edit the other 11 rubrics so that they are identical?

Steve Goforth

Instructor

Music Department

Thomas More College

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Navigator

goforts@thomasmore.edu,

A rubric cannot be edited once it is attached to multiple assignments. The warning that Nicholas mentions should only be ignored if you're changing the settings and not if you're actually changing the rubric.

When you edited week 1, it made a separate copy and didn't update the other weeks. This is the expected behavior, but not always what people want.

If you want to update future weeks, then you'll need to detach the rubric from the assignment so there is only one copy of it, change it, and then reattach it. This becomes problematic if you have already used it. You may only be able to update unused rubrics this way.

The lesson I learned the hard way a couple of years ago is to make sure the rubric is right before you attach it to assignments.

Quiz questions are another thing that works like this -- make sure you enter it right the first time or the copy that goes into the question bank is bad and doesn't update even when you update the original question.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you.

Am I understanding you correctly, I need to edit and save the rubric 11 more times?

Steve

Steve Goforth

Instructor

Music Department

Thomas More College

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That may be true, but it's not necessarily what I said. It depends on where you're at in the semester.

Let's say that you have the same rubric attached to 12 assignments. If you have already used the rubric for 3 weeks (6 assignments), then changing them won't be a good idea except going forward. But for the other 6 assignments, you can remove them from the assignment, fix it once, and then reattach them to the discussion.

The point is to never edit (actually change the content) of a rubric that has been used in more than one spot, it makes a copy of the rubric. So you want to make sure that any rubric that you do edit isn't used in more than one spot (or not at all).

Now, if you have used the rubric for all of those assignments and actually graded with it, then I would look forward to fixing it for next time. Remove all of them from the assignments, fix it, and then reattach them to the assignments.

Highlighted
Community Member

Ok.

I'm not trying to change a rubric on a current class. I want to change the rubric on a course that begins in 2 weeks. The problem is I've imported content from a template and I need to make changes to the imported rubric.

Steve Goforth

Instructor

Music Department

Thomas More College

0 Kudos
Highlighted

In that case, you have it [relatively] lucky. Go through and remove all of the rubrics from the assignments except for one of them *, update the rubric from Outcomes > Manage Rubrics, then go back and re-attach it to all of the assignments.

Changing it for a future class is so much easier than changing it for one that's currently in session.

This is also a good chance to remove any version spare versions of the rubric that got created along the way.

* Note that you need to be careful with deleting rubrics from all of the assignments. I did some additional testing (I was in class all day today and had limited time between classes to respond).  In testing, I edited a rubric and a copy was made. When I deleted the rubric from that assignment, it deleted the copy from the Outcomes > Manage Rubrics page.  I then went and removed a rubric from all of the assignments that used it and it removed it from the Manage Rubrics page. I think this was a rubric I had brought over with a course copy.

The safe thing to do is to make sure it's used no more than once so that it doesn't make a copy. If you do accidentally delete it, you can either copy it back from the original course with a selective course copy or you can add /undelete to the end of your course URL <instance>/courses/1234/undelete and the restore the rubric that was deleted.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels