cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Editing an equation results in an external link to Pinterest??

Jump to solution

Hello - brand new to Canvas, and eager to learn how to utilize it. I'm trying to work on a question bank. The questions in each bank will be very similar with the same answer choices, and utilize the equation editor. After learning that there is no easy way (yet) to copy questions within a question bank, I started using the work-around of copying questions into a different bank and then back into the original bank. Then I can just edit the question and select the answer choice.

However, after doing a few, I noticed that after I edited the question, a link was appearing to an external site. I clicked it and it took me to Pinterest...?!? Here is what I mean:

This is the question, before editing:

Capture1.PNG

I open the equation editor and made my change. There is nothing visible after the cursor.

Capture2.PNG

After saving the question, the "links to an external site" symbol appears!

Capture3.PNG

I click on the link, and it takes me to:

Capture4.PNG

If I go BACK into the question editor again, there is a line BELOW the equation object. I can back-space and save the question, and the link is gone.

Capture5.PNG

But this means now I have to go into every question to edit it TWICE. Because this isn't tedious enough already. Any thoughts on why this is happening?? I do see the link to Pinterest in the HTML if I open it in the editor, after the first edit. But I don't understand why it is being inserted there!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

UPDATE! The cause of this weird and buggy behavior has been determined! It is the Firefox "Pin It" button plug in.

Prior to determining that this was the issue, I also learned how to do a screencast (woohoo, go me!) at the support team's suggestion, so if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what the problem was in case you or a colleague runs into it, here you go: Quirky bug when editing quiz equation - YouTube

Once I disabled the plug-in, I could no longer replicate the problem. Thanks for the help here and from the Canvas support team!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

dmg34@psu.edu​, this is weird--and unique in my experience. It's so weird, in fact, that I think you will need to open a support case (click on the Help button from the page on which you're making the question edits, and select Report a Problem). Submitting the ticket directly from that page will capture relevant metadata that will allow Support to diagnose the issue more quickly.

Before you submit the ticket, I recommend that you try doing the same edits, but this time in a different browser. If the problem doesn't occur in the other browser, it might be a problem of something cached (or some other bugginess) in the first browser. If the problem occurs across all browsers, then there's something deeper going on.

Either way, it's worth having Canvas Support investigate this for you. Welcome to Canvas!

Highlighted

Thank you stefaniesanders​ I tried it in IE (my original results were in Firefox) and the results are slightly different. When I edit the question and open the equation editor, it does NOT give the external link! However, it does insert a "space", which can similarly be deleted by re-editing the question and deleting the space after the question. Without the link showing up though, I probably wouldn't bother to delete the extra space.

In the top question, I edited and opened the equation editor. You can see that there is extra vertical space in the question field than in the unedited question below it. Also, I determined that this only happens when editing with the equation editor. Just opening the question to edit it, without invoking the equation editor, does not cause any wonkiness.

Capture6.PNG

I will put in a support case per your suggestion. Thanks again!

Highlighted

UPDATE! The cause of this weird and buggy behavior has been determined! It is the Firefox "Pin It" button plug in.

Prior to determining that this was the issue, I also learned how to do a screencast (woohoo, go me!) at the support team's suggestion, so if anyone is interested in seeing exactly what the problem was in case you or a colleague runs into it, here you go: Quirky bug when editing quiz equation - YouTube

Once I disabled the plug-in, I could no longer replicate the problem. Thanks for the help here and from the Canvas support team!

View solution in original post