cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Email via Outlook

Dear All, 

My students prefer to send me an email vias Canvas and I receive notifications from Canvas showing the email with the following note:

"You can reply to this message in Canvas by replying directly to this email. If you need to include an attachment, please log in to Canvas and reply through the Inbox."

However, I can never be able to this directly. I cannot use outlook to reply an email. Every time, I need to login Canvas and reply via it. Any suggestions?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, oe173263@rockford.edu...

Thanks for posting your question here in the Canvas Community.  This doesn't sound right to me that you wouldn't be able to reply to your students via Outlook.  Have you tried reaching out to Canvas Technical Support?  They may be able to help diagnose this with you better than we could here in the Community because the majority of us do not have access to your school's Canvas environment.  You should have a few options available to you in your "Help" menu to contact Support.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12877-4152719652 

I hope this helps, Khan.  Good luck to you, and please come back to this post to provide an update once you have spoken with tech support.

Highlighted
Learner II

Hello oe173263@rockford.edu

We have our instance set up to allow replies through Outlook. Sometimes the email associated with the account is changed or set up incorrectly and it breaks the pass through. You should check to be sure the default email in your Canvas profile is the same as your Outlook email address.

Highlighted

I checked it, it is the same email. The point is, I am receiving the notifications in Outlook but cannot reply it via Outlook.

Highlighted

oe173263@rockford.edu, what happens when you try to reply? Do you get an error message or something else? The more details you can provide the better, but this definitely sounds like something you would want to report to Canvas Support at your school. 

Highlighted

The email showing in your profile in Canvas needs to be same as the outgoing email address when you send from Outlook.  If your college uses aliases or forwarding, it might look to you like the address is the same, but the underlying outgoing address could be different. 

Our faculty often run into a variation of this issue, since we have an official university address (which is the default address in Canvas) and some colleges have a college-specific address. Automatic forwarding rules ensure that email sent to either address ends up in the same inbox.  Depending on Outlook settings, this may or may not be apparent to the user.   The solution is to be sure both addresses are in your Canvas profile.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Khan,

We discovered this same issue a few months back.  It was very frustrating.  We tested everything up one side and down the other.  I submitted a support ticket with little to no response and even contacted our CSM about it. 

We found the following...  The crux of the problem is in registering the email addresses.  Registration of the emails occurs automatically when an user account is created and the user accepts the invitation they recieve.  However, this only occurs if the accounts are created manually.  A user can register their email if they go into their profile and add the email as a Contact Method.  This IS DIFFERENT than simply adding the email to their list of email addresses.  We also discovered that if you add an email address as a contact method that isn't listed on the email addresses, it will appear on the list of emails.  However, because an email appears on the list, doesn't necessarily mean that it has been added to the contact methods.  If this makes any sense at all.  

As we are working toward a single sign-on through our student portal and want to be tied to our LDAP directory, we are not doing any manual account creations and all accounts are created via a SIS import.  Since the users do not get an invitation, their registration process wasn't complete.  

Now comes the mystery...  After contacting our CSM the second time, and her mentioning that the registration process is completed when they accept the invitation, and our repeating the statement that we do SIS imports so there is NO invitation, it seems that everything is now working.  At some point during the three months we've been trying to figure this all out, something has changed and email accounts are being registered.  I do recall at some point reading that there was something that the CSM needed to turn on, but I cannot say what or where it was.  UGH!!! 

I hope that this brings some light to the issue for your organization...  

Kim

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

oe173263@rockford.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Surveyor

Apparently, it has to do with the email registered in the university. Some universities give you an email like abc1234@...edu. You should change this. Thanks for the help. Now it is solved.