cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Embed PDFs, not link

Jump to solution

I would like to know how to embed PDF documents in the pages feature, not just link to the document.  I would like the document to appear once the student clicks on that particular page.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

erikagrafsky@vt.edu​, the easiest way, by far, to embed a PDF into a content page is to create an auto-open inline preview link, and you'll find instructions on how to do that in this Canvas Guide lesson: How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for Files using the Rich Content Editor?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

erikagrafsky@vt.edu​, the easiest way, by far, to embed a PDF into a content page is to create an auto-open inline preview link, and you'll find instructions on how to do that in this Canvas Guide lesson: How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for Files using the Rich Content Editor?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you!  Certainly not intuitive, but it did the trick!

Highlighted

Hi Stefanie,

For some reason this option "auto-open the inline preview for this link" isn't working for a discussion post I'm making... Is there a reason the embed feature would work with a content page and not with a discussion page?

I really just want students to be able to see the embedded pdf and be able to comment on it in the same webpage... There should be a way to add or turn comments on for individual pages, so you don't have to make everything a discussion page. Or is there already one that I'm not aware of? 

Highlighted

tiffany.maglasang-1@ou.edu, normally the auto-open for inline preview capability would work anywhere the Rich Content Editor is available. However, I've seen comments here and there throughout the Community today and yesterday about an issue with linking to files that arose right after this weekend's release, and I understand that engineering is working on it; nevertheless, I recommend that you submit a ticket so that you are kept informed of progress on the fix. 

Highlighted
Learner II

I find it strange that no one ever says anything about having to have Box LTI in order to preview files within Canvas. Why doesn't Canvas have this capability natively?

Highlighted

I see now that Box is the default file handler/previewer in Canvas....regardless of LTI integration. Sorry for any confusion!

Highlighted
Surveyor

I've only recently discovered that if you open up a new Google Doc, click on "File", then "Open", click on "Upload", and then "select a file from your computer", choose the PDF that you would like to place on the Canvas page, and then you will be able to get an embed code for the PDF.

When you open the PDF through Google Docs, you be sent to a PDF viewing window, just click on the three vertical dots (more options) in the upper right-hand side of the window and you will see an area where you can copy the embed code and then paste it to the HTML Editor portion of the Canvas page you'd like for it to be on. Personally, I always change the dimensions of an embedded document to 1500x1000 just to make sure no one has to perform unnecessary scrolling!

Highlighted

YES!!! Thank you! 

I had to figure out that the embed code needs to be inserted here and not in the image icon.

embed.png