cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marzettamichael
Community Member

Embed PowerPoint

Jump to solution

Is there a way to embed a powerpoint into Canvas without creating a way to download it. I have tried using share on microsoft powerpoint itself and posting the code in the html editor. I have also tried posting a link and checking the option to make it appear in "embed view" , but it still leaves a link that can be used to download it. I just want to embed the power point and have it not available for downloading.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

You would need to un-embed it as a file in order for it to not be downloadable. In other words, you would need to make each slide into an individual picture and then upload the pictures into the Editor. The embed viewer allows download and that is not a feature that can be changed on the user end, because it's an external embed viewer that is not controlled by Canvas. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gunther
Surveyor

To embed a PowerPoint, you'll need to upload the file to OneDrive.

Then follow these simple steps to get the embed code:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/embed-a-presentation-in-a-web-page-or-blog-19668a1d-2299-4a...

Then go into the HTML Editor in the Canvas page you want to embed the PowerPoint, and directly paste the code from PowerPoint Online into Canvas:

I just did these steps, and verify that they work.

I have done this before, but it creates a button on the embeded powerpoint to download it. I am trying to find a way where I can embed it without it being available to download. Below is a screenshot of the button I am talking about. 316046_pastedImage_1.png

You would need to un-embed it as a file in order for it to not be downloadable. In other words, you would need to make each slide into an individual picture and then upload the pictures into the Editor. The embed viewer allows download and that is not a feature that can be changed on the user end, because it's an external embed viewer that is not controlled by Canvas. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
marshall_noyes
Community Member

You can also use your Google Drive and Google Slides.  I found a great youtube video that shows how to do it.  Very easy.

https://youtu.be/MzjA_n6LmH0

A little different than the video I posted - just save the powerpoint to Google Drive, then open it in Google slides, then follow the instructions on the video above for publishing to the web and copying the embed code into Canvas.  

With this method, the powerpoint is embedded into Canvas and students don't have to download and open it.

karen_bowden
Explorer III

Solution without resorting to Google or OneDrive or O365 is to:

1. Insert the file.

2. Select the file link.

3. Select Link options.

4. Automatically open in-line preview.

linkoptions.jpg