cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Embed or Link Course to Personal website?

Can I embed a course in my personal webpage? for sharing my content to students that do not attend my university.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi gvertican@mail.sdsu.edu

If I’m understanding correctly, you are wanting to keep your personal webpage and embed Canvas into it. I would suggest you go the opposite, embed the personal webpage into Canvas. 

Embedding Outside Resources into Canvas (iFrame) - YouTube  

This allows your students access to all the features of Canvas without going to a different URL from their other courses.  It also will help you expand your course as you learn more Canvas features.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi gvertican@mail.sdsu.edu 

I would be very careful doing this and would strongly advise checking with your school.

Part of the ways that schools make money and stay in business is by charging tuition for students to attend their courses.  Also, most colleges specify that course content created on their dime, belongs to the school.Part of the ways that students cheat on school work is by buying copies of assignments and tests on the internet, and by making your course materials available outside of your school increases the risks that your content will make it to one of the very many cheating sites out there.

I know this seems like a very nice gesture on the surface, bu it really is not a good practice.

One thing you might consider, is getting a copy of Canvas Free for Teachers course, and moving your content there for folks, but still the issue of ownership remains.

Just a heads-up!

Kelley

Highlighted
Surveyor

I concur with @Kelley L. Meeusen,

additionally, check with your school about FERPA. institutions are mandated to protect student data, and allowing external persons into your course will compromise that data in various ways.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for remembering FERPA, floresr@smccd.edu !

I knew I was forgetting something.

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks everyone! I am aware of the FERPA and the Institutional issues you brought up, and I care very much about being ethical and legal! So I think perhaps I should clarify. I knew about Canvas from the Uni I taught at for 7 years and built courses for. Quite apart from the courses I created for them, I have gone on to build my own personal courses as well. No students involved - none of the institution's resources used. Only my own.

I would like to have a side gig as a kind of English tutor online and have been creating my own personal webpage on WordPress. I want to offer those unique Canvas courses that belong only to me on that webpage.

Last year I did ask Canvas Instructure if that violated any terms, and they said no - it's fine - explaining that I cannot offer the courses as if I were representing Instructure along with a couple other items, but that I can offer those courses, even for profit, if I like. It's not a feature that I can do through Canvas, but I can do that however I like-in person, through my own webpage, etc.

Hence, the question yesterday if anyone knows how to embed a course in a personal webpage...or link to it? I understand perhaps I can simply give students join codes and keep my personal site separate from my Canvas, but since I have already created it in Canvas, wouldn't the easiest way to offer it be linking to it in some way from my webpage?

I want to be of value to International students who could never afford to study overseas - and one of the best ways I can reach them is through the courses online that I created? Does that make more sense?

So, thank you to everyone for their thoughtful replies! And I re-submit my Question - does anyone know if embedding or linking to a Canvas course (free for teachers) to a webpage is possible? Thank you so much!

Peace to everyone! ❤️

Highlighted
Community Member

Following.   I am interested in the same thing.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello gvertican@mail.sdsu.edu...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  While I don't really have any answers or solutions for you, I did want to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since June 26, 2019.  Have you been able to find any solutions for embedding Canvas or at least a link to your course(s) in your own website?  If so, would you be willing to share your findings with us back here in this topic?  Or, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well by posting a note below.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost six months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Ginger.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

0 Kudos
Labels