cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tnunez
Community Member

Embedding Canvas Video

Jump to solution

How do I embed a Canvas Video (tutorial) into a content page for my students?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tnunez ​...

Most (if not all) of the Canvas tutorial videos are hosted on Vimeo's website.  So, for example, if you wanted to embed this video tutorial, , for your students in a Canvas page, you could do the following...

1. First, make sure that the Vimeo LTI is installed either at the Account level or the Course level.  (The Canvas Admin for your school may want to install this LTI at the Account level so that all instructors at your school can use it.)  Otherwise, you can install it at the Course level.  What are LTI Tools (External Apps)?  Once Vimeo is installed at either the Account or the Course level, then you would have a Vimeo button that appears in your RCE (Rich Content Editor).
  2. Go to the tutorial video here in the Canvas Community (or click on the example video I provided).
  3. When the video appears on the page, click on the "vimeo" name at the bottom right corner of the video.  This will open the same video on Vimeo's website.
  4. Highlight the name of the video.  In my example, highlight everything including the number...  "214 - Assignment Submissions".  Hit Ctrl+C on your keyboard to copy this.
  5. Back on your Canvas page, use the Vimeo button in the RCE to insert the tutorial button.
  6. When prompted to search for the name of the video, press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste in the name of the video.  Then, search for the video.  Hopefully, it will come up as one of the first results.
  7. There should be options to embed the video on your course page.

Hope this helps, Christina!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tnunez ​...

Most (if not all) of the Canvas tutorial videos are hosted on Vimeo's website.  So, for example, if you wanted to embed this video tutorial, , for your students in a Canvas page, you could do the following...

1. First, make sure that the Vimeo LTI is installed either at the Account level or the Course level.  (The Canvas Admin for your school may want to install this LTI at the Account level so that all instructors at your school can use it.)  Otherwise, you can install it at the Course level.  What are LTI Tools (External Apps)?  Once Vimeo is installed at either the Account or the Course level, then you would have a Vimeo button that appears in your RCE (Rich Content Editor).
  2. Go to the tutorial video here in the Canvas Community (or click on the example video I provided).
  3. When the video appears on the page, click on the "vimeo" name at the bottom right corner of the video.  This will open the same video on Vimeo's website.
  4. Highlight the name of the video.  In my example, highlight everything including the number...  "214 - Assignment Submissions".  Hit Ctrl+C on your keyboard to copy this.
  5. Back on your Canvas page, use the Vimeo button in the RCE to insert the tutorial button.
  6. When prompted to search for the name of the video, press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste in the name of the video.  Then, search for the video.  Hopefully, it will come up as one of the first results.
  7. There should be options to embed the video on your course page.

Hope this helps, Christina!

View solution in original post

tnunez
Community Member

Thank you, so much, Chris.  That worked perfectly.  I love the Canvas Community!

tnunez
Community Member

Thanks again. I will share this information with my colleagues.

Tina Nuñez

English Professor

English Department

Allan Hancock College

tnunez@hancockcollege.edu<mailto:tnunez@hancockcollege.edu>

(805) 922-6966 x3775