cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfalls
Community Member

Embedding a PPT with narration to auto open

I have several large PowerPoint lectures with narration. How do I embed (I think that is the right term) into Canvas so that the PPT automatically opens and the narration plays. I tried "How do I set the auto-open for inline preview for files using the Rich Content Editor" by Chris Hofer but the narration did not play. The PPTs range in size from 49 MB to 80 MB.

I also saw another suggestion of converting the PPT to Google slide but the narration did not play there either.

Thanks a lot!

6 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Surveyor

Hi there, jfalls!

Well, you tried the one thing I was going to suggest, which was to try converting to google slides! Sorry that didn't work! Also, I hadn't seen the guide https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12868-415268090 or  @chofer ‌'s materials, but it appears as if it is only taking the content, flattening it, and making the slides displayable "images".

I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=afe5a4e5-2b0f-4393-8283-2daaa0af...‌ group as they may have come across this before and will hopefully have an idea of how to approach this.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

jfalls and  @kenneth_rogers  ...

Thanks for the mention, but the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12868-415268090 is not attributed to me.  It's an official document from Instructure.  🙂

GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

Embedding of PowerPoint....

If you have the Office365 integration feature with Canvas then you can sort of embed a PowerPoint by linking it to a Module. When you click on the PowerPoint it opens in the free PowerPoint online App.

There are no (hint: we are all still waiting) embedding opportunities for PowerPoint on a page with Office365 integration.

Your best bet and the one I recommend to the faculties I work with is -  One Drive Personal. This is a free service from Microsoft you can sign up to. I have created OneDrive accounts for each department in our school . One Drive personal is astonishingly good. You can upload Office Docs, PDFs, images and video. Embedding is a 'doddle', just right click on the file and select Embed then copy the code! Updating the file is fine provided you don't change its location online. Sharing is incredibly easy too - none of the 4 line links that OneDrive Business/SharePoint requires. What's more, you don't need your users to be in school. When embedding PowerPoint you have full animation features and can view full size.

There are alternatives which are discussed here - How can I embed a PowerPoint show? 

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to get back in touch....

Thank you - after hours of looking at help files, this one finally solved my problem!  Using the personal version of OneDrive not my institutional one, I was able to embed without requiring students to login. 

Great stuff

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, jfalls...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you again.  We have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on January 23, 2018.  Have you had a chance to review the feedback that you've received from  @kenneth_rogers  and  @GideonWilliams ?  Did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your original question?  If you feel that either Kenneth's or Gideon's feedback has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark either of their replies as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please come back to post and update so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Jane Ann.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.