cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Embedding files in rich content editor

Did something change recently with how rich content editors embed files within the course? A few instructor has recently noticed that links are different when they are embedding course files in a page.

It used to look something like yourinstitution.instructure.com/course/xxxxx/files/xxxxx/download?wrap=1 which directly downloads a file for the student

It now looks like yourinstitution.instructure.com/files?verifier=nZkS9SE0W8Nsrxf6XIc2wl5g6uW2uMreYmRzuB9R&preview=5002821 which goes to a in browser preview of the files.

Was this a recent change or were those instructors using a different workflow to get the /download?wrap=1 link before? If so what is that workflow? Students in those courses prefer the old way where they never have to leave the page they were on and can download all files from there.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: from this post Make a file read-only but Not Downloadable in C... | Canvas Community  it seems like the /download did used to be the default.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Community Member

I raised this issue with Canvas support (as a few other institutions did) - it happened along with the last production release. It has generated queries from quite a few of our staff. I hope they change it back soon!!

Just as an FYI, the new behavior also seems to break when you copy the item to a different course for anyone browsing this topic.

Community Team
Community Team

hfchen‌ and lchallen@london.edu‌, this has been posted at status.instructure.com as under investigation: Canvas Status - Issues with Rich Content Editor in Canvas  Your tickets will ensure that you are notified of progress, and following the status.instructure.com page will also keep you up to date.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, hfchen...

As I was reviewing older discussion topics here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you to see if this still an on-going issue for you...or if it has been resolved?  Based on the link that stefaniesanders had provided on November 2, 2017, it looks like this issue may have been resolved, but I wanted to confirm with you to make sure all was well on your end, too.  If you are still experiencing this issue, you may want to report this to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk by clicking on the "Help" icon on the left side navigation of your school's Canvas environment.  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark that response as "Correct".  But, by all means, if you're still looking for help from Community members, please come back here to post an update.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" since there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Seems good now. Thanks