Entering Scores

Jump to solution
briggs_26
Community Novice

I need to assign a student a 100/100 point score on an assignment that is a whole class assignment of 130 points.  Is that possible to do in the same assignment?

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @briggs_26 ‌ - I have to assume, just for the sake of clarification for both of us, that there's a reason you do not want to simply give the student 130/130.  (Perhaps you are using a strictly points-based gradebook rather than accrued percentages?)  While I could understand making it clear to the student by doing this, since the TOTAL is primarily a percentage-based grade, the bottom line is that this student will be getting 100%. 

But, rather than heading into dangerous waters for me (math!) to directly answer your question there is not a really good way to do this in the same assignment, alas.  But what you CAN do is duplicate that assignment (don't worry...it won't be published, by default), EDIT it, and then follow the instructions here:  How do I assign an assignment to an individual student?   The great thing with this very cool feature is that the other students are unaware that this is being done, as ONLY that student will see the assignment now.  HOWEVER, once you create that assignment you will have to EXCUSE the student from the original assignment, so that the original assignment does not count against him/her.  (Or you can just leave it at the default score of a dash...which is essentially the same thing, but this makes it more clear to the student...and to yourself.)  I'm not sure if you're using the current gradebook or the New Gradebook, but the way to excuse an assignment is the same in either one: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12938-4152386299 

I hope this helps a bit, Jane!  

View solution in original post