cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer II

Error in import of quiz question with multiple dropdown

If I import a survey with a multiple dropdown question, rather than getting the dropdown in the preview I get "[ans]" (the string in the quiz text). However, if I edit the quiz question - simply clicking on "Update question", then say the quiz - it works properly.

Error in first question

The question is:

The question itself

After updating question (no actual changes, just click the Update question button) and saving the quiz the preview shows:

After updating and saving

6 Replies
Navigator

maguire@kth.se, can you provide more details about the Import? Was this an import for a quiz exported from Canvas, a import from another course, a quiz exported from a different package, a question creation using the API, ??? Does it happen all the time? Is it only for surveys, but graded quizzes work? Is it only when there is one dropdown in the question? 

I was able to go through course settings / copy course content and import a quiz containing several all multiple dropdown questions from one course into another, but they all had more than one drop down and it was a graded quiz, not a survey. But that's just one variation of what might be happening so I may be way off from what you're seeing.

james@richland.edu, It fails when using either (1) Export course content (which creates a .zip file) followed by Import Course Content or (2) as Import Course content directly from the other course.

If I make the question a "Multiple choice" question it imports correctly.

Interestingly, if I edit the question string to "How would you rate this course? [overall_quality]" from "How would you rate this course [ans]?" and re-enter the answers. I can now export and import this successfully!

Looking at the difference between the two .zip files, does not reveal any unexpected differences.

The .zip files are at https://people.kth.se/~maguire/sandbox-ik2554-ht17-quiz-export-multiple-dropdown.zip  and https://people.kth.se/~maguire/sandbox-ik2554-ht17-quiz-export-multiple-dropdown-not-working.zip  .

Thanks for the extra information.

I can confirm what you're seeing. I am also able to replicate this with original questions created on my end, not just importing your questions.

I can also confirm that it happens where there is more than one dropdown box (I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem) and a graded quiz, not just a survey. It does not matter if [ans] is the first or last variable in the text of the question.

It does not like [ans] as a variable name.

I went looking for where this might be occurring in the code, but I'm not familiar enough the quizzing portion to identify what was going on. I imagine it's in the import routines since it works fine through the web interface.

I have had problems with the multiple dropdowns showing all of the answers to the students after they have completed it in the past. I thought I would look to see if this was the problem. It turns out that we did not have any multiple dropdown questions that used [ans] in them.

It seems like it could be reported to Canvas as a bug. In the meantime, the quick, although not ideal, fix is to not use [ans] in a multiple dropdown question.

james@richland.edu, thanks for confirming this. I have previously ask the KTH teacher support group to report it to Instucture. (No word yet on a tracking number.)

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello maguire@kth.se...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since your last response on March 18, 2018.  It looks like you and james@richland.edu have been troubleshooting the issue(s) you have been having with quiz imports.  Do you feel that your question has been answered?  Are there any remaining question or concerns that you have about this topic?  If so, please feel free to post an update for us below.  Or, if you feel that James has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark one of his responses as "Correct".  For now, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity here for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Gerald.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

As  far as I know it is still a bug.