cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Error message from Instructure Canvas

Jump to solution

I am creating modules and uploading course content files into the modules.  Now I am getting email notifications from Instructure Canvas related to my modules,  When I am in student view and click on a file within a module, the files open, but I get the following message at the top:  "Error retrieving assignment external tools."  What does this mean, will it impact a student's ability to access the course content files, and what do I need to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello icmfk@asu.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  When you say "external tool", are you using a third-party LTI tool such as Google Docs/Google Drive, Office 365, Dropbox, etc. to link to your files?  If this is the case, when you try and view what this would look like in "Student View", you may get an error.  This is because the "Student View" doesn't have an e-mail address associated with it, and external tools usually look for an e-mail address to authenticate into the LTI.  If you wanted to test this out with an actual Canvas account, you might need to see if your school's local Canvas administrator would allow you to sign in with a dummy student account into your course so you could see what this would look like to ensure things are working properly for you.

I hope this helps, Michael.  Please let us know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello icmfk@asu.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  When you say "external tool", are you using a third-party LTI tool such as Google Docs/Google Drive, Office 365, Dropbox, etc. to link to your files?  If this is the case, when you try and view what this would look like in "Student View", you may get an error.  This is because the "Student View" doesn't have an e-mail address associated with it, and external tools usually look for an e-mail address to authenticate into the LTI.  If you wanted to test this out with an actual Canvas account, you might need to see if your school's local Canvas administrator would allow you to sign in with a dummy student account into your course so you could see what this would look like to ensure things are working properly for you.

I hope this helps, Michael.  Please let us know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos